Part 3 Dallas? Dallas Whinston?

Sprites POV

The next morning I wake up and Houston is out on the porch smoking, "morning, how did you sleep?" I ask as I sit on the porch swing with her, "good what about you?" "Good." I say, I walked out just in time to see the sun rising in the sky, "that's really pretty." She nods and takes a puff on her cigarette, "thanks for hanging around us, Darry seems so different now in days. And then there's Soda who is so tall, he used to be short and I was past him. And Pony, he reads! He never used to read, his favorite book would be a Batman comic or something." I say smiling.

I can tell Houston has something on her mind, "so Dallas then?" I say, "what do you mean?" She asks, I wink at her "keep telling yourself you don't know what I mean." She looks confused then mad, "I would never like Dallas." She states, "good, I heard he's in jail half his life, left his family behind no looking back." I say, Soda told me yesterday, he wanted me to know just in case his good looks get to me. "what's his last name again?" Houston asks, "Winston. Why?" I ask, I'm just now realizing I don't know Houston's last name, "what's your last name, omg how do I not no this?" I'm shocked I thought knew everything about Houston.

"Potter." She says, "like Harry Potter?" I know she's lying, why would she lie to me, "speaking of Harry Potter I think I left the book back home, or it slipped out on the train." I say, changing subject because I heard someone open a squeaky window, "really!" She says, she may act all tuff but her weakness is books, she says I'm the nerd which I am and proud of it, but she is to. We start talking books when I hear something above us, "Darry do you know where my DX shirt is?" I hear Soda yell, I don't know I hear it from the window in his room or the windows beside us more, "no now shhh I'm on the phone." Darry yells back.

"Who was that?" I hear Soda say, "you can't tell." Darry says, then their voices drop really quiet, "I had to make sure that Sprite and her friend weren't lying, so I called the orphanage they are supposed to be at, and they say that Sprite and her friend were the most troubling there." I hear Houston let out a small gasp, I must looked scared, but Darry continues not knowing we hear him "well she says she can send some cops over here and take them to a stronger place in the area, I don't know what do to." Darry finishes, "no you can't Darry, Sprite just got back." Soda says, "I know but what about Houston, she steals, shes gone to jail, the people at the orphanage say they don't know where she came from." Darry says.

We thought they were done talking then we heard Darry say, "shes a Dally." Then we hear nothing and the room door must open then close, me and Houston look at each other, "I have to go." She says quickly, "what, no you can't." I say louder than I intended, "Im not going back to the cops, I can't go back, they'll kill me." I know all about how she's gone to the cops before and why. I look at her with sad eyes, "I'll talk to Darry." I say getting up quickly, I walk in the house and see Ponyboy eating breakfast. "Where's Darry?" I ask, he looks at me and smiles, "sorry I'm just not used to having you around, I almost thought yesterday was a dream." I can't help but smile then I go upstairs to find Darry.

I hear him on the phone with some long in his room, I listen in, "yes she'll be here when you come." He says then hangs up the phone. I quickly run downstairs to tell Houston, "it's to late." I say once I get to the porch, "what if you and me we hide out for a day, we can come back tonight when we know they are gone." Houston says, I think about this and nod.

We run inside to see Pony looking at us, "what are you guys doing?" He asks, I smile knowing he's asking because he cares about me, "you can't tell." I say and whisper in his ear, "we are going on a walk." I say, he looks at me so sad, "why can't I tell?" Just then I hear Darry coming downstairs, I look at Houston, we nod and take off sprinting with our backpacks.

Once we get outside we don't stop running until we get to the park, we start walking "why'd you lie to him?" Houston asks, "Pony can not keep his mouth shut, words going spread." I say, I look up and see Dallas walking towards us, "let me do the talking." Houston says, "no fighting." I whisper in her ear.

"Well if it isn't Dally Winston." Houston says, "well, where are your friends to protect you now?" Dally asks with a smirk on his face, "wait where are you guys going?" He asks, "so scared of me you have to change subject." Houston says, all I can think is nice job, "no but your brothers are going skin me when they find out you two ran away." I see Houston clearly cringe at the word brothers, "well don't tell them." I say, "just let us past." He shakes his head no, Houston and Dallas are glaring daggers at each other, "do I know you?" Dally asks, Houston shakes her head no, then I notice they look so alike.

"Come on." Houston says grabbing my arm almost ripping it out of its socket, "not so fast." Dallas says, Houston looks at me I nod giving her permission to slap him and run, that just what she did. Houston slaps Dally across the face and we run while he's shocked, "get back here you Bitc..." his voice is drowned out by the sound of our feet fitting the pavement.