chapter sixteen ; busy bee

AMOS

That day, I had to work extra hard. I was at the hospital for longer than usual and even ended up having to take a taxi back home because Alex had fallen asleep.

 The unusually long working hours had left me with an awful headache and I could barely keep my eyes open. To make matters worse, I could feel my limbs beginning to fall asleep as I got out of the taxi, which led to me almost landing on my face for the umpteenth time that year.

Thankfully, I made it back home without any broken bones.

Unthankfully, my phone vibrated in my back pocket. 

Almost instinctively, I pulled it out as soon as I felt it vibrate to check the notification. 

I'd received a message from an unknown number. 

I decided to ignore it and shoved my phone back into my pocket. I proceeded to set my things on the table a few feet away from the bed quietly, so as to not wake up Alex who was knocked out on the bed. I then proceeded to take my shoes off and set them aside before walking into the washroom and taking the rest of my clothes off in order to have a refreshing shower.

After such a long day, a nice and warm shower was definitely what I deserved. 

I stepped into the shower shortly after having undressed and let out an audible sigh of relief as I felt my shoulders loosen upon making contact with the water droplets. 

For some reason, I'd always had a fear of closing my eyes in the shower as a young boy - and that fear had followed me well into my adulthood. I'd always assume I'd be in some sort of troublesome situation once I opened them. Completely unnecessary and irrelevant but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

After I was done, I stepped out of the shower, dried myself off and changed into a cozy pair of pyjamas. I then sat on the chair behind my study desk, browsing the internet whilst waiting for my hair to dry. 

Then, my phone vibrated on my desk again. 

I averted my gaze from the laptop screen to my phone and tilted it towards my direction so I could read the message on the screen.

Once again, a message from the unknown number.

This time, I let out a sigh of annoyance and unlocked my phone to respond to whoever this person could be.

The only message I'd received from said number was a brief greeting and a question directed to how I was doing. I ignored both these questions and typed back a little 'who is this?'. I then shifted to set my phone back down, however, I received a response almost immediately. 

I was unaware as to how I should feel about the fact that this stranger was responding faster than Alex, whom I had known for nearly a decade and coincidentally took nearly a decade to respond to my messages as well. 

I pushed these insignificant thoughts to the very back of my mind and read the message I'd been sent.

'Wanna take a guess, doctor?'

Clicking the tip of my tongue against the roof of my mouth once I'd realized who was behind these messages, I wrote back:

'How did you get my number?'

Another response in barely a second.

'Your friend gave it to me. Alex.. was that his name?'

I placed my phone on my lap in disbelief for a moment, staring at the empty wall ahead of me. I don't know why I was so surprised because that was definitely something Alex would do, regardless of whether he was drunk or not. 

I turned to face the little shit who was sound asleep on the bed behind me, ignorant to the events unfolding before him. Just looking at him made me want to get up and kick him off the bed.

So that's exactly what I did.

I got up off the chair I was previously seated on, stalked over to where he lay and landed him a hard kick on his side which sent him rolling off the bed. He landed on the floor with a hard thud. 

However, he was still asleep. Even that wasn't enough to awaken him.

Or so I thought.

Two minutes later, he let out a gasp, "Who just kicked me off the bed?"

"Very early reaction," I responded sarcastically. "Why would you give Micah my number?"

"What the hell is a Micah?" he questioned, rubbing the side of his head, still half-asleep. "And why would you send me rolling in the deep for that? Hehe.. Adele."

With that, he placed his head back against the hard floor beneath him and began snoring once again.

This little fucker.

I let out a groan of annoyance when my phone vibrated once more. Walking back to the table where it sat, I flipped my phone over and read the new message I'd gotten.

'Kiss me if I'm wrong.. but dinosaurs still exist, right?'

Hah. 

'You're right,' was all I typed back.

 Not too long after, I received one more message.

'Did you come out of the oven? Because you're hot.'

'Mr. Davis, I'm your doctor.'

With that, I switched my phone off and jumped into bed. I'll deal with this tomorrow.