chapter twenty-seven ; oopsie?

AMOS

"I was not jealous!" I exclaimed. "I was just curious."

"Whatever you say," he chuckled before hopping off the swing. I did the same without questioning it and we both walked down the street once again. 

"You're shivering, Amos," he pointed out, taking a look at me. "I thought you said that you don't get cold easily?"

"Today is an exception," I explained whilst he stood there, shaking his head at me in disappointment.

"Come closer," he instructed. "You can hold onto me, it'll help you get a little warmer."

I didn't fight it and simply did as I was told, huddling closer to his side. Instantly, I felt the warmth radiating from his body and let out a sigh of content, "You're so warm."

"The perks of having a jacket," he stated before wrapping his arm around me and pulling me even closer. 

I could feel my face burning up for whatever reason and I ended up choking on my spit like a pathetic fool.

"Woah, are you alright, doc?" he questioned, stepping back and grabbing my face in his hands, forcing me to look up at him so he could examine my face. Upon looking at the state I was in, the corner of his lips tugged up into a playful smirk, "Oh? You're blushing, doc."

"I'm not, it's just cold," I lied. "Get your hands off my face."

"Oh you're so blushing," he chuckled. "Is it because of me?"

"You're an asshole," I scoffed, pulling away from him and continuing down the path. He caught up to me quite quickly before pulling me to his side again.

 I was about to protest but he interrupted me, "Don't want you catching a cold."

"Or are you just using that as an excuse to get closer to me?" I fired back, not expecting much of a response.

"Oh no," he gasped. "I've been caught red-handed. What ever will I do?"

I rolled my eyes, not bothering to respond to that.

"I mean, can you blame me, doctor?" he continued. "You're just so absolutely perfect, I think I'm lovesick."

"You've got to stop doing that," I mumbled, looking away.

"Flirting?" he questioned. "Why? Does it make you uncomfortable?"

"It's all just meaningless flirting, right?" I said, already beginning to sound all petty and jealous. "So what's the point?"

"Is it though?" he said in a low voice before wrapping his arm around my shoulder and turning me to face the opposite direction. "Let's get back home."

"Yeah, that's a good idea," I nodded.

We walked the entire way back home in silence but every now and then, he'd throw a flirtatious joke in and I'd either completely disregard him and pretend like he hadn't said anything or I'd just shoot him with the:

"Mr. Davis, I'm your doctor."

A classic.

"You know what?" he said when we were a few feet away from the house.

"What?" I questioned, walking over to the door.

"Wait," he said, holding onto my wrist so I wouldn't open the door just yet. "I want to ask you something."

"Ask me then, I'm right here," I stated, turning around and pressing my back up against the door so I was facing him completely. 

"Do you want to hang out together sometime again?" he offered. "I had a lot of fun with you last time and I can tell you did too. I've been meaning to ask you for a while."

"Will we be going to the same places?" I questioned curiously.

"I'll try to think of somewhere else that I can take you this time," he nodded. "But we're definitely going back to that special spot I showed you."

"What day were you thinking?"

"When are you free?" he questioned, pulling out his phone and opening the calendar app. "Let me see.. I'm free on weekdays after nine or after five, depending on the day. On the weekdays I'm free the entire day."

"Maybe this Saturday then?" I offered. "I'll let you know if I get off of work early and then we can hang out. Does that sound okay to you?"

He sent me a brief nod before the two of us shared a smile amongst ourselves. 

And then, the door flew open - while I was still leaning against it. 

I fell onto the floor beneath me with a loud noise (I'm surprised I didn't end up breaking my back upon impact). Thankfully, I hadn't hit my head. I looked up at the culprit. 

Alex?

"Welcome home, cheater."