Chapter 8

Eventually we all fell asleep under the tree. I woke up and Alyssa, the early bird, was up braiding long blades of grass together.

"What are you doing?" I asked her.

"Making a bow since we didn't bring food. I don't want to hear Malee complain." she answered easily.

I decided to watch her for a while to see if I could learn from what she was doing. I didn't understand it at all but it was coming along good.

"Try to go and find water. Once everyone wakes up we can go into the woods until we are better prepared." she looked up from her bow that was now finished and she pulled out a pocket knife. Why does she have a pocket knife? I decided not to question it.

I stood up and put on my bag. walking into unknown woods was a little scary. I would have felt better if someone came with me, but to late now. Compared to the city the woods were beautiful. I could hear animals moving around and I silently hoped none of them were hostile. I could hear the sound of water moving. Now walking towards water would be the most logical thing to do so I did it. I could see the creek a little ways away and then I heard a bunch of shouting and I turned around. My friends were all running toward me with all of there stuff and they weren't jogging. They were sprinting. They were getting closer to me and I saw what they were running from. 2 police dogs and 2 police, who were armed with M-16s. They got to me and kept running. Alyssa had apparently finished her bow and an arrow. She stopped beside me.

"Go!" She yelled and I listened trusting her instincts.

I looked back in time to see she had shot one of the dogs in the leg. Probably purposely so it didn't die and was running towards us. She caught up to Brooke who was a little bit in front of me and said something to her. Brooke split of to the side we Jewel and Annabell. Arabella, Malee, and I were motioned by Alyssa to go the other way. I looked at her like she was nuts and ran after Arabella and Malee. We all ran a little farther and and we found the other group. Alyssa wasn't with them.

"Where is Alyssa?" Brooke asked frantically.

"She did not stay back there to fight them did she?" Jewel asked panicking.

Her answer was a gunshot and then a scream. Everyone's faced paled.

"Oh no....." Annabell said softly.