60 Pt.2

Zaib/Zoya

The sky was turning navy by the time the graduation ceremony ended. Everyone collectively decided upon gathering for dinner at the newly opened halal restaurant. "Ladies, would you mind parting now? We're heading to the same destination," Ehsan interrupted as they walked to the parking lot. Even after the ceremony, his wife stuck like glue to her best friend- his presence was nonexistent. Naimat glared at him sourly for his blunt remarks, but Zoya giggled as she waved goodbye to her best friend. The bantering couple boarded the car and drove away.

Zaib, who was walking at a safe distance behind Zoya, swiftly grabbed her hand and then he threw her into his arms, his towering frame embracing her tightly. "I've been yearning to do this for so long. I didn't even get to congratulate my wife because of her annoying friends."

"Hey! Don't say that," she mumbled, throwing a jab against his chest, which didn't faze him. After the ceremony ended, she was immediately pulled into the familiar faces graduating with her, and the photo session lasted an hour. Then, Naimat had swooped her away for more single shots with the certificate. Zoya, herself, felt frustrated because she wanted to see his shining eyes up close, but she could only silently complain.

Zaib's embrace warmed her heart, and she softened into his chest, her arms easing around his back. "I'm so lucky to have you," he told her as if the look in his eyes wasn't already enough to convey his emotions. Zoya appreciated her husband's straightforwardness; he never left things unsaid; it would be a hassle for her to constantly guess, so he never left a speck of doubt. He made sure she felt his love every time, loud and clear.

"Zaib—I want to say something," she felt her throat tightening as she spoke up, her heart overflowing with affection. She wanted to bare her soul to this man.

"I'm listening," he responded softly, eyeing her curiously. "Well— I..." Zaib's phone began ringing, interrupting her.

Zaib frowned as he leaned back, pulling his phone out of his back pocket. "It's Bilal," he told his wife with a scoff and answered the call. "Yeah..." he replied nonchalantly.

"Everyone?" Zaib asked out of the blue, and Zoya heard Bilal responding through the phone. "Yeah, yeah, we're on our way-" Zaib cut off Bilal's rambling and then shut the phone call.

"Everyone's arrived, so he's complaining about us being late," Zaib remarked and chuckled as he registered how different the siblings seemed; Bilal was impatient and loud; whereas, his wife was the opposite: composed and patient.

"Let's talk later, otherwise Bilal will blow up your phone," Zoya warned. Zaib nodded and paced ahead, pulling her along with him. "Also, Naimat better not steal you away at the dinner," Zaib sheepishly threatened, his bright gaze narrowly eyeing Zoya as he dragged her along.

She laughed at his absurd demands. "Why are you so clingy?" She inquired. Zaib opened the door of their car and glared at her. "I'm clingy because you're not—someone has to maintain the balance for a marriage to work," he said self-righteously as she climbed inside the car.

Zoya shook her head in disbelief and waited for him to get inside, and as they set off, she smiled at her clingy husband. She secretly wanted him to hold onto her until he forgot how to live without her. Yes, it was selfish, but when she looked at Zaib, she found herself thinking, 'Ah- it's sometimes okay to be selfish.' Of course, she would never tell him that.

On their way, Zoya was surprised at how it merely took them a couple of minutes to reach their destination. It was a spacious building that could be seen from a mile away due to its unique, brightly lit exterior. Standing before it, the towering structure seemed like a monument out of Ancient Rome: the walls were brittle and tawny, a stony texture layering them. Zoya stared, mesmerised. If she looked to her left, it was the familiar 21st-century land- but as soon as she looked back, she time-travelled to the past.