16

Zaib

The days where he thought of a partner, he told himself he'd tell his mother straight away—when he was certain. He was sure about Zoya but he couldn't bring her up to his mother. Why? Because he was already thought of as a "husband" from his mothers family side for their daughter Mariah.

Zaib never acknowledged that relationship as anything neither did his parents, but he still knew that his mother was very comfortable with them.

Zaib gulped down to ease the quench of thirst he had felt way before he even left his house. He looked down at his shoes and noted how they looked untidy and were a bit dusty. Zaib rubbed it to the other one for the marks to disappear.

Zain was eyeing Zaib closely.

"What are you doing?" He mumbled, catching Zaib off guard.

Zaib rolled his eyes at him. "You got a proble— I mean, uh— just cleaning shoes." Zaib felt a tingle rush up his back in disgust at having to show such kindness to Zain, but he was helpless. Zain had done something great for once and gone to his mother telling her about Zoya.

Late at night, his mother had boomed into his room filled with excitement and asked Zaib herself if it was true. Zaib woke up flustered and confirmed Zain's words shyly. His mother was skeptical but agreed nonetheless.

And there they were.

"I can't believe this!" Bilal shouted for the tenth time walking back into the living room with a bottle of water. Zaib sighed unable to control the smile.

"Can you shut up. I'm trying to act normal," Zaib mumbled. Bilal's smirk only widened.

"You know this is unbelievable right?" Zaib sighed again, pinching the bridge of his nose in annoyance. Bilal came to Zaib's side, putting an arm around his shoulder.

"But—in all honesty, I'm really glad that you're interested. I've known you all my life enough to consider ourselves lucky if you become a part of our family," Bilal muttered, smiling at him.

Zaib's tense nerves immediately vanished. "Do you really think I'm worthy of her?" Zaib muttered softly. Bilal nodded without a second thought. "Of course you are."

Zaib smiled wide. "Thank you, B."

"B, a round of fortnite tonight?" Zain interrupted uninterested within their conversation. Bilal rolled his eyes. "You lose every damn time. I'm not wasting my time."

Zain snorted. "Just say you're scared and leave."

"Scared? Hello? Did you not hear me—"

"Yeah, yeah."

"You know what? Fine. Be online at ten."

Zaib rolled his eyes at the kids. Who played fortnite these days? Yeah, everyone but it was the lamest game Zaib had ever played. No, it wasn't because he lost every damn round and had conquered no achievements whatsoever—not that at all.

"What're the elders doing for so long in the guest room?" Zain mumbled sighing in boredom.

"I don't know actually," Bilal answered shrugging.

Zaib wanted to know as well. Why were they talking over here and why did Zoya not come yet? Zaib nibbled his lower lip, shuffling around. Bilal noticed his impatience and chuckled, getting up from the couch.

Zain sick out of boredom, chugged his phone out, playing some weird game.

Bilal roamed the hallway, edging towards the room all elders were talking in. He stayed out of their sight and waited. They all were talking and chatting like they were having the time of their lives. Bilal watched silently. "Peek-a-boo!" Bilal flinched, punching Zain in the gut out of shock.