21

Zaib

The sight of her blushing cheeks and dimpled chin stuck to him like a stubborn piece of gum. He wanted to shake her off his head but she was everywhere. Meeting eyes with her had given him the same experience as perhaps laying under the perfect moon while stargazing.

He couldn't have prayed for anything better.

When he entered her home, his heart was a mess drowning in confusion just like the sky outside, drowning in darkness. But on his return, the moon had disappeared, the sky a clear orange lighting up the world just like his heart lightened up by Zoya.

The first thing he did was run to the masjid and pray two rakaa' to express his gratitude.

His eyes brimmed with tears as he thanked Allah again and again. Because indeed, he couldn't have prayed for anything better. He also made up for his Fajr prayer which he had missed accidentally.

The masjid was as peaceful as ever. When he stepped out, the ball of sun shining into his eyes made him smile. Despite being sleep deprived, he decided to visit the local market and bought gifts for all the kids at the masjid.

Since it was really early in the morning and the children would surely be sleeping, he left the gifts with the scholar-caretaker, Mr. Kareem to distribute later in the afternoon.

And then he walked home.

-:-

"Did something good happen? What am I missing out on?" Zain's narrowed eyes followed Zaib who was keenly fixing a portion of his vast bookshelf while he hummed some old song.

Zaib's bookshelf was an entire room of wonders. The white shelves carried all his bittersweet memories, from when his little self had lost his front tooth to this day, when he was a well established young man. His father greatly appreciated the magic of words and wanted his son to embrace the passion too.

Ever since Zaib could remember, his father bought him books with every extra penny he earned from his pay. Penny by penny, book by book, Zaib managed to build himself a library.

"I'm speaking to you," Zain called out. Zaib didn't bother answering as he placed the book into the shelf like a last missing piece of a puzzle and walked out of the room.

"I've got something to say everyone!" Zaib announced, earning worrisome frowns from every member of the family except Zayna who was still at school.

"Zaib? What's wrong?" His father questioned, discarding the newspaper on the couch as he stood up, worry masking his features. His mother's voice followed from the kitchen, "Is everything okay?"

"Everything is great," he found himself answering.

Zain, who had followed him out, stared with his eyebrow arched into the air, questioning his actions. "What is it?" He inquired, folding his arms over his chest impatiently.

"I want to get married."

Everyone stared. Zain blinked rapidly. "We've established that, haven't we?" He remarked, his tone playful, mocking Zaib.

"I want to get married—to Zoya." Everyone stared baffled. His mother's jaw dangled and Zain's eyes zeroed hysterically.

"Are you serious?" His mother's voice seething with unlikable amount of disappointment reverberated as she venomously glared at Zaib. Before Zaib could explain any further, his younger brother cut him to it.