10

Zaib

"I'm not hungry," Zaib told Ehsan for the tenth time that morning.

Nothing seemed to make him feel better. There was heaviness weighting on his chest, making him uneasy. It felt like if he digested even a bite, his stomach would refuse and yank it all out.

"What are you doing, punishing yourself?" Ehsan's bothered voice pulled him out of the whirlwind of his thoughts.

He glanced at him reluctantly. Frown etched Ehsan's lips and a deep crease of distress had formed on his forehead.

Ehsan was Zaib's best friend since he learned the actual meaning of friendship. He never left him alone. Whenever he needed to talk out about something, Zaib would run to him as if he were his mother. And he always listened better than a diary.

"Ehsan, she's... different." Zaib tried to word out his feelings.

"When I hear her talking, I want her to keep going. Her voice–it soothes me; she says such random and smart things," He didn't know if he was making any sense.

Zaib just wanted him to get it. Somehow.

Ehsan nodded, "Zaib, there's absolutely nothing wrong with liking her. It's what you do now is what matters. If you like her so much, reach out to her."

Yeah, Zaib was pretty sure that he liked her a lot and wanted to know her better. But, he couldn't get the thought of Idrees out of his mind. Idrees was probably sitting there right in front of her–looking at her–talking to her–smiling at her while Zaib himself suffers within these 4 white office walls.

Zaib shot up from the arm chair, rubbing his hands together in an attempt to stop the disturbing shivers.

Get yourself together Zaib.

It wasn't Eshan telling him this anymore. It was his inner consciousness lecturing him.

Zaib heaved an exhausted sigh and looked back at Ehsan who now sat back completely done with him. Zaib chuckled at him and straightened up.

The best way to relieve himself off this is visiting the local masjid where Ehsan and him went to meet the lovely children. They often volunteered to pay for their expenses and provide them with all necessities.

"Let's go to the masjid." Ehsan smiled.

———

The entrance of the masjid was often spoiled with people irresponsibly littering and the gate was a rusty dark green with spills of colorlessness visible. However, the inside was a completely different world. Not exactly heaven but maybe something close to it.

As soon as any man stepped inside, they felt the coolness of the marble floor which's colors pleased the eyes, exceeded all over the Masjid; different patterns covered each corner. There were no prayer mats on the spacious ground since the elderly people believed it to be nicer to pray on the coolness of the floors. Right, opposite of the entrance, was a Wudu area.

Deeper into the masjid, there were five rooms in total: a library, a Quran educational room, a large hall for all the children to sleep, two large halls, one turned into several bathroom stalls and the other hall for public speeches and debates.

"As Salamu Alaykum," they greeted the elderly people who were in charge of the safety of the children and the masjid, standing at the entrance.