3: Mental Battles

Paul's POV.

Torterra and I paced up and down as we explored the Tournament Grounds.

When I got the invitation to attend this competition, I initially ignored it. I despise human interaction, and competing in a crowded, busy city like Geosenge seemed like a hell custom-designed to torture me specifically. Torterra, however, got me to further investigate into this tournament. I discovered that the winner would be able to battle a champion and challenge them for their title.

I decided that this would be too compelling an opportunity to disregard. 

"I'm going to look for the rooms." I spoke coldly. 

"Terra?"

"no Torterra, to haul myself off the balcony."

Torterra gave a subdued chuckle.

"you're still a big baby, you know that?"

"TERRA TOR!" growled the big baby, as it started stomping away. I rolled my eyes and followed the walking continent. 

As I pushed past crowds of nobodies, I was hit with the reality that not all the trainers here are battlers. Granted, all of the ones with brains are, but some "trainers" (read as pathetic pet owners) decided that collecting pretty ribbons and keys and making your "pokemon" look like they hate themselves is somehow more important than becoming as powerful as possible.

stupid. pitiful.

Unfortunately, like a moth to a flame, many so-called 'coordinators' are here because, as luck would have it, the Rocket corperation hired them as 'entertainment'.

Great. Interrupt a battle with a beauty contest.

I halted at Torterra's side, as it seemed to point towards the location it wanted to go. It pointed downwards towards a battlefield where a battle was taking place.

"Torterra. We are not having a battle with substandard trainers." I stated, refusing to lower my eyes to look at said battle.

"Terra Tor!" he roared with a passion that impressed me. (though I didn't show it). For a second, I thought he learned Roar, which was peculiar as I didn't have that TM.

It's a useless move anyway.

"fine. maybe." I gritted my teeth, deciding to briefly analyze the battle taking place. It was an Alolan Marowak vs a Primarina. 

The trainer on the left was shirtless and tall and probably around my age. He had a weird black and red hairdo and black marks on his dark skin. Around his neck was a tribal neckless, extending down to his muscular chest and six-pack. On his feet were slippers, and the only article of clothing he showed was scarlet-red shorts with crimson outlines. He wore a confident grin as if he didn't have the type disadvantage. I deduced that he was likely from Alola due to said reasons.

The girl on the right also looked around my age, though much shorter. She had clear skin and deep blue eyes, matching her round, flowing blue hair. She wore a snow-white, sleeveless top with marine-blue pants extending to her knees. On her head was a golden, tiara-like object, and around her waist was an amber-yellow mini purse she probably kept her pokeballs in. She wore a calm and collected smirk; she knew she had the advantage, but she wasn't about to let her guard down. I like that. I guessed that she was also from Alola due to owning the fully-evolved water starter.

I couldn't shake the feeling I'd seen her before.

The referee was a tan girl with green hair, probably a passerby or an acquaintance of theirs as she wasn't properly attired to be an official battle judge.