11: Finally it Begins.

With Ash...

"Grass, water, fire, go!" Zinnia and I said simultaneously. My hand made a wave-like arch, while hers stood tall and uptight like a tree.

"Damn," I sighed tiredly. "First to a hundred??"

"I think I'm just really good at predicting you," she mocked, smiling victoriously. "98 times in a row."

"You still didn't answer," I said. "FIrst to one hundred?"

"Fine. Grass, water, fi-"

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen of the tournament," said Professor Sycamore out of nowhere. "I apologize for the delay, but the grand opening will be starting soon!"

"Finally!" I heard a man from behind us yawn.

"Hilbert! Everyone can hear you," said the girl who was wrapped around one of his arms.

"Sorry, prez. But we're all thinking it!"

"He's right," I said.

The girl turned towards me, embarrassed. "Sorry for being so loud. Hilbert, please also apologize to this couple."

"Not a couple," Zinnia whispered under her breath.

"You're holding hands," the one named Hilbert noted. 

"We're really close." I said.

"Yes, and very intimate." said Zinnia.

"Sound like a couple," Hilbert said. "But fine, sorry for being... loud."

"There, wasn't that easier?" said the girl, smiling. Hilbert scratched his head. 

"Oh, where are my manners?" The girl said.

"Prez, I think you left them in Unova-"

"Oh shut up, you," she laughed, turning to us. We sweatdropped. "My name is Hilda, and this is my boyfriend, Hilbert."

I'll admit something. When I first met them, I didn't think much of these two. Maybe just two average trainers in a tournament. The way they talked with each other made it seem like they were just two normal people living normal lives with their pokemon. Maybe that's how Serena and I could've been if she wasn't in the wrong place at the wrong time. Of course, I was decidedly wrong. Hilbert Black and Hilda White were nowhere near normal, but that was something I'd find out in due time.

"Well I'm Zinnia," she said, "And this is my good friend Tomato."

"But you can call me Tom!" I chimed.

"You, Tomato," Hilbert said, ignoring my chime. "You're from the exhibition match!"

I scratched my head. "Yeah, I guess that's me."

"Nice to meet you, Tomato," he said, extending his hand. I shook it. "Man! Iris was so hyped after that battle!"

"You're friends with Iris?" I asked, surprised.

"Yeah we're good rivals. Yahoo! Next Unova league I'll show her!"

Hilda tapped Hilbert's shoulder. Hilbert immediately noticed and quieted down, as if this was a common routine. "Anyway, she was wondering who that Tomato guy really is... oh yeah. Tom Ato, who are you?"

"Welcome, one and all, to the Pokemon League World Tournament! Now, I don't believe I need to introduce myself to those from Kalos, but I'll introduce myself anyway for the guests. My name is Professor Augustine Sycamore, President-Elect of Kalos!"

There was roaring applause from the audience, but there were also a number of people booing. It was barely audible, but still hard to ignore. 

"It is a great honour as a nation to be able to be the first in history to hold a Pokemon League for the entire world to compete!"

The audience clapped as well this time, but there seemed to be way more people booing. The people clapping started clapping louder and the booing became louder as well. It was like a battle for the mood of the crowd. It would be quite amusing, if not terrifying.

"Sycamore has some nerve!" blurted Hilbert.

"I'll say!" said Hilda.

The professor seemed to take notice of the battle going on in the stands. "I'm going to hand the microphone over to Champion Cynthia of the Sinnoh League. We've always had good relations with our brothers and sisters in Sinnoh," Sycamore said cautiously, handing the microphone over to the blonde champion. Amazingly, most of the booing died down. Whether it was out of fear for the champion or respect; I'm clueless.

"This tournament will consist of three rounds." Cynthia said commandingly. "The first round will consist of three one-on-one battles in the span of three days. By the end of the first round, there should be around one thousand trainers remaining,"

It hit me like a Thunderbolt. This was no ordinary tournament. 

"The second round will not be two days. By the end of the second round, only 64 trainers will remain. In this round, trainers will team up with another trainer and battle alongside them in tag-battles for the entire round." 

"I know who I'm partnering with," said Zinnia, giving me a sly smile.

"In round three, all battles will be 6 vs 6 single battles. The winner of the tournament will be able to challenge one of us champions for our title, on the spot!"

There was a lot of murmuring in the crowds. I just smiled. "We're gonna get our title back, buddy."

I expected to hear an excited 'Pika pi!' 

"Buddy?" I checked the slot in my hoodie. "Oh right," I sighed, "he's with Nurse Joy."

"You... okay?" Asked Zinnia. 

I stood up. "Not as okay as I'll be when I'm Alola League Champion!" 

Hilbert stood up as well. "And I'm not okay till I'm Unova League Champion!"

"Great..." Hilda sweatdropped, "Now there's two of them..."

"Quiet down in the nosebleed section," Cynthia commanded. Hilda went pale and dragged Hilbert by his collar back into the seat. "I'm wearing this BW shirt for you..." he groaned.

"Speaking of the stands, I think I'll address the mamoswine in the room. I understand that there is some controversy in the location of this tournament, however. President-Elect Sycamore, bless his heart, is too soft-spoken for this topic. You need to get over your petty national rivalries and accept that the tournament is in Kalos. Booing the future president like unruly children won't change that. I believe there is more to be said on this issue, but now is neither the place nor time. Now, any objections?"

No one booed.

"Now, where were we... oh yes. If you lose a single battle in any round, you are eliminated from the tournament." She said terrifyingly. "Look around, this is your competition. With each passing battle, it will be cut in half. Over the next few weeks, the playing field will dwindle, until only one remain. It is entirely possible that at the end of the tournament, I will be facing off against you," she said, laughing to herself. "But choosing me wouldn't be wise, though who am I to decide a trainer's destiny? Regardless, champions like me should be responsible for passing the torch down to new prodigies, just as I will ignite the flame of competition," she said, as a girl handed her a torch. She looked oddly familiar, like a mix between Dawn and Selene. "Thank you, Platinum," said Cynthia, raising the torch. "This is the flame of a Moltress, a legendary Pokémon that stands for the whole spirit of the Pokemon League that lights the torch." She pointed the torch in the direction of the bigger torch she was supposed to light but stopped herself. "Mr. Goodshow would be proud," she murmured, lighting the torch. Instantly, the flame shot up into the sky like a beacon, as if Moltres was watching, giving us its blessing.

"Let the Pokemon League World Tournament begin!"