5: Fanning the flames

I panted heavily, my lungs expanding and contracting and filling with long-desired air.

At least it wasn't as bad as her.

"Ha- Looks like I win again!" I proclaimed triumphantly.

"I still pant don't get pant how you aren't pant even sweating," she mumbled, collapsing to the floor. Her Whismur named Aster followed.

"30 miles isn't even that bad, now c'mon let's go!" I grabbed her leg and lifted the lazy lorekeeper off the floor and onto the tournament grounds, Her cheeks turned red and she started struggling.

"HEY- where are we even going?"

I stopped abruptly.

"Honestly, I have no idea."

She fell to the floor again. "I'm gonna go register take a shower in my room."

"well about time, you stink like thirty Garbodors"

"shut up!"

"see you later, Lil Z!" I joked as she ran off, unable to hear her response. Pikachu and I chuckled, picturing whatever snarky insult she fired back.

That girl really is something special.

When she left, a brick hit me; I was lost in an unfamiliar place with no friends besides Pikachu. That isn't usually a problem, but here, it's a social situation. Spending 3 years avoiding cities does wonders for your social skills. You'll wonder where they went.

I took my time exploring the tournament grounds. It was beautiful, and I don't use that term a lot. The roads were paved with yellow bricks. There were enough cafés here wake up a snorlax. The architecture was distinctly Kalosian, elegant but modern; a far cry from the concrete jungle that is Geosenge. Of course, there were small battlefields everywhere, and I was tempted to use one... but against most of these trainers, it's just plain bullying. The area honestly reminded me of Ever Grande City, but with a Lumiose flair. I liked it.

After mindlessly meandering for around half an hour, Pikachu decided it was his turn to lead. "Where are you going, Buddy?" I followed Pikachu into a calming park, where I saw him being pet on a bench by a familiar face.

"Oh hey Ash," said Elio. "I guess you were exploring too..."

"It's a nice place," I answered. "Did you get registered yet? Where's Selene?"

"There are no 'good' hotel rooms. Just expensive ones."

"Amen... but you're avoiding my question."

He looked away.

"It's okay. I do the same thing with Zinnia," I said. "Now tell me what's on your mind."

He sighed. "I don't know... I just don't think I'm ready to enter another league yet."

"Well that's unlike you. A high-stakes battle tournament for the entire world? That sounds like your calling-"

"I KNOW I KNOW."

We sat in silence for a few seconds.

"I'm sorry for shouting, but I'm not sure I'm ready for the tournament."

"It's okay, you don't have to enter," I said. "But I want to know what's troubling you."

"It's the Alola league," he admitted. "It was a month ago and I got beaten so badly. So so badly."

"I get it, Elio," I said. "I really do. I had a lot more tough losses before I got my win, and even then, I won barely."

"But you actually got your win. Actually, I remember when you got it. You didn't know me then, but everyone in Alola knew you. 'Ash Ketchum, the legendary league winner who brought down Tapu Koko.'"