5: change of owners

Alina's POV

I see Derrick and feel bad for what's just happened moments ago.

My first extinct is to leave so I can go forget about all this for a few hours. I very much rather deal with things at a later time but that's not what works for him. That's when my other instinct kicks in as well and I hate to say that I have that for him.

An instinct, a soft spot or much better put, a weakness for Derrick.

We've been through a lot these past 8 years and despite how things started he's been loyal to me. He's protected me time after time even when he could have gotten rid of me. Everything he's done to prove that I never have to worry about him turning his back to me I can't put a price on that or trade it for anything.

I wasn't expecting to ever find a way to love Derrick. I told myself that business partners is all we'd ever be and what happened in between was because we're human. There was even a time when I could have left but even though he gave me that option I stayed. My life with him and everything good in it makes it worth it. The time I get to be at home with our family is nothing I'd ever give up.

There's nothing from my old life I could go back to even if I wanted too. People back home haven't done much with their life and I see they live in the rat race. What I have now is what I've worked hard for over the years. So because of the thought I'm going to put my pride to the side and fix this.

Instead of saying anything I go towards him and immediately connect my lips to his not giving much time for a reaction. Derrick digs his hands into my hair pulling us closer. Just before it can get any deeper he pulls away and I hear myself breathing hard. The air coming in and out of me feels very hot and you could say my body temperature has gone up as well.

"Don't do that Alina that's not how you can make things any better." He mutters trying to look away.

Even though he says that I know it's what he really wants deep down. I don't bother responding instead sitting myself on his lap and putting my hands into the rich thickness of his jet black hair. I look deeply into those icy blue eyes that have soothed me over the years. There's a dark tint to them and I know he wants me just as much too.

I bring our lips together again this time taking my time with his. Derrick moans when I bite on his lower lip like I know drives him crazy. His hands place themselves on my hips and stand us up. Immediately I jump wrapping my legs around Derrick's waist and arms over his neck.

After a few moments he pulls away to look at me. I try to get my breathing under control really wishing he wouldn't want to talk right now. Derrick and I hadn't been intimate in a few weeks only because we've let work become so consuming. There's no way desire has stopped on either end.

When we stop being together is when the bickering and short fuses start. I've noticed that pattern but Derrick likes to call it "me putting a band aid on things". I don't think the same way he does in that matter. I think it's about finding a way to connect and reminding ourselves of the great love we feel towards the other.

Our best problem solving has always been during the pillow talk. I know it's been a few rough weeks on both of us and we deserve to have a moment to remind ourselves of our commitment to the other. 

"You know we both need this Derrick. We're not seeing eye to eye on something's and we can't keep going like that. We're a team despite everything okay? I love you and just want to be close to you right now. I don't want to fight so please? Can we do that." I murmur letting emotion seep into my voice.

"I can't Alina I'm too angry right now and I don't want too-"

"It's okay Derrick. I like when you make it hurt sometimes." I whisper reassuringly trying to coach him into giving in.

Derrick groans and I know I've won for right now. I put absolutely everything out of my head right now so I can be in the moment with my husband. With everything that is already on our plate now there's this new possible partnership that has me worried.

***

I managed to get Derrick to hold me for a second during our afternoon and send everyone who came to our door away. Once we get up and out that door it's back to business. I try to enjoy the moment before I can't put it off any longer.

Business is the reason we're spending the evening the way we are currently.

Derrick wants to agree to the partnership even though I'm not fond of it. He insists that it's needed while I think another thing. Maybe it's time we stop doing this and live off of the legitimate business we've worked so hard to build these last 5 years. Not only that but we have enough saved away to live as comfortably as we do now for decades.

Of course we have to play it smart being careful but it won't be forever.

"I haven't changed my mind just so you know." Derrick murmurs as he states into my eyes.

We've been laying under the covers for the last few minutes just looking at each other. I know he hasn't changed his mind but I think he'll be more open to listening to my side.

"Why do you feel so strongly on trusting people we've never met with one of our good routes?" I try asking much calmer this time.

"It's not about trusting someone new Alina it's about survival. I didn't get a chance to tell you at
club but we're going to be having eyes on us within the next few weeks" Derrick says rubbing his temple and then moves to get out of bed. That lets me know it's time to get up and going because we can't put this off any longer.

"What does that mean?" I frown sitting up in bed before sliding my legs off the edge and onto the ground. We both head towards of closet I'm assuming now to pick out outfits for dinner.

We're quiet for a few moments while trying to pick stuff out. If I guessed right we're going to the club for dinner so a cocktail dress it is. As my hand extends out to grab a few dresses Derrick's own hand stop mine and he turns it so he's holding it now. 

"I got an email from our IT guy and he picked up a call coming from inside of our houses towards an Interpol agent in Spain. The call wasn't long but it was long enough to pass information. Information that got one of our freights seized in Port Arabella and any day now some government is going to start picking their noses in our business. Into our lives Alina which I'm trying to protect us." Derrick finally said looking in my eyes trying hard not to let the worry show.

"You really think letting someone use the route is going to help? If they want to get us they're gonna have to try hard, we've tried cleaning up behind ourselves but there's still a trail. It's only a matter of time before it finally leads to us." I point out dumbfounded.

"My plan is to help set them up using the routes and then little by little we stop using it. We let our buyers know now that we plan on switching careers but we can introduce them to our new associates so nothing gets interrupted. The same goes for our other routes we need to find someone else to take them over so we can slowly inch back." Derrick confesses.

"So you want to set other people up and we somehow will get away scott free? That's fucked Derrick." I recoil.

"What else can you think of then?" He says exasperated.

"Some of these people are our friends! Friends that have proven themselves to us, how can we do that to them?" I cry outrage thinking of Daniela and her kids. My friend who lives in Hungary and has been one of our greater allies. There's no way I could do this to her or anyone else, that's just calling for bad karma.

"When it comes down to us and them Alina, I will always pick us. I can't afford to think about anyone else no matter how good they've been to us. It's how the business goes sometimes." Derrick utters.

Business or not I know we can't help everyone but if we're going through with this then I'm making sure there's a few spared. By the sounds of it I would have to do this on my own

"Set the meeting up then with these people. Let's meet in Mexico." I sigh leaning forward to hug Derrick.

In the back of my mind I start planning how I'm gonna make it work so we don't end up screwing everyone over. Even though I haven't met the new partners I don't think it would be fair to give them routes only to turn around and get them caught.

A/N: Thank you for the patience! Next chapter will be up this weekend 🥰