6: rolling in the deep

Zayn's POV

I got the okay from both sides to make this meeting go forward but I'm not sure how to go about it now.

The Montgomery's want to meet in Mexico which is a nuisance cause we had just gotten back from there. Not only that but we have to be in Hungary right around that timeframe they gave us to meet.

On another note I wonder how to do this process because I'm sure if they knew who wanted to talk to them the meeting would be cancelled effectively. I don't want to lie to them but I also don't want to put myself at risk. Even though Alia is for it, I'm not okay with them meeting just her, and then later I come into the picture. She wants to play it off as if we recently got together after they meet but there's no way they'd fall for it. There's an ideas that's been sitting in the back of my head but I'm not even sure it's worth risking. It could be worth a shot but it's not like I can ask Alia.

The only thing I can think of doing right now is grabbing my phone to ring Louis.

I'm probably going to regret it but sometimes Lou has advice worth making a bloody phone call to him. It does take a few seconds for the phone to start ringing but once it does on the second ring he answers.

"Hello mate how can I help you?" I can already hear the smugness in his voice.

"Why do you assume I'm calling for help?"

"I may not be a track star but I'm not that slow Zayn. We're not the type of mates that get to meet up on holidays with the missus. Always business."

"Whatever I probably shouldn't have even called. I assume you're busy." I mutter tersely.

"We're here now chump so on with it." Louis laughs not trying to let me go. I'm sure he's in the mood for a laugh or to be a prick.

"Is there anyway you can get me in direct contact with Derrick Montgomery?" I hear myself ask under my breath nearly.

"How direct?" Louis asks without missing a beat.

"I wanna get on a phone call with him to discuss somethings before meeting. More so be honest about who'd be paying them after they let us use their lands." I confess.

"You're feeling a little brave aren't you." Louis comments like a smart eyes.

"Louis I'm pressed for time, can you help me or not. I didn't call you cause you're a wise guy." I'm already on edge about this but he's not helping one bit.

"I might be able to push around some people to get a number. Tell me though Z, are you really ready to talk to that man. He's not your biggest fan either so what's to say he wouldn't turn on you if there's a chance?" Louis voices some of my own concerns. Whether he's being helpful or an intruding prick these are things I wasn't hoping to think about much less discuss.

"Paranoia isn't something I give into Louis. Besides I'm sure he wouldn't risk Alina's life like that." I sigh not even sure I meant that.

"You wouldn't. Not your precious flower." He says in disbelief.

"She's not anything to me anymore and it wouldn't be my problem." I hear myself say but it's like my brain disconnect from my body or rather my heart did. Maybe I'm trying to cut myself off from that part that felt anything towards her.

"Wait till you have her face to face. I'm sure it wouldn't be so easy like you're making it seem to yourself now." Louis scoffs still not believing me.

"Things are different, we're different now and whatever used to be there isn't anymore. I have to think about who's in my life currently and I'd do anything for Alia." I declare knowing I meant it whole heartedly. There's nothing I can do about the past or those who had been a part of it.

"I don't doubt it but you wouldn't hurt Alina either. A love like that isn't forgotten easily."

"What do you know of love Louis." I scoff in disbelief.

"I'm not made of metal you prick. Besides you spent months on an island with her and then walk away....suddenly. Either it was getting real or it already was which made you afraid. She was never really yours in the end." He utters that last part. Trying to pick at a wound that's been healed or he's trying to find out how I feel currently.

"None of that is relevant or matters. Now are you gonna help me or what?" I say as uninterested as I can hoping the subject is changed or dropped.

"Yes, yes you know I will you whiny hag. Give me a few hours I'm pretty sure I'll have it before you go to sleep." He laughs reassuring me.

"Thank you Louis." I breathe out calmly.

"Just guarantee me something will you?"

"What?"

"You're not gonna mess things up this time. Strictly business." Louis says flatly.

I wanted to tell him off. Curse him in the 5 different languages I knew how to speak but I know deep down he means well. Louis has been loyal to me even when he had no reason too. Even though we're not the type of friends to share details and events like you could say normal friends do, we're aware of the other and what's doing on surrounding them.

From the little interaction he had with Alina and I in the same room I'm sure a lot was picked up on.

"There's nothing to worry about." I answer simply not wanting to say anything else on the subject.

Louis doesn't respond letting me know the conversation is over so I hang up the phone getting up from my office desk. My eyes go right over the bar in the corner of the room but I'm hesitant. I should probably have a clear head for when I call Derrick tonight. I can't predict what his reaction will be but I should be ready to do whatever is needed at a moments notice.

I open a drawer in my desk instead now going for one of the rolled cigars and a lighter. With that in hand I head towards the balcony opening the door once I'm close to step out.

The air feels nice and crisp despite the sun shining so bright. Maybe the breeze from the ocean is coming in which means today would be a good beach day. Except I'm not a fan of beaches or the ocean. The reason is very dumb but it's one of those things that I don't touch on because the heaviness I can feel now without even going into it is too much to bear.

The bud in the cigar does it job though of loosening up my brain so it could just be in the moment. I focus on looking at the people walking by down below in the city. People watching is a form of meditating for me so I can forget what's going on in my own life or present moment.

Until I run across someone with her hair and figure which brings me back to what I said to Louis on the phone.

Even though it would hurt me I'd do anything to protect Alia. If that's what it took then I have to do it.

Now thanks to Louis though there's that in my head. Would I hesitate? Was I just building myself up to not be hurt even though there's a chance it's all useless once I see her?

A/N: Here's the chapter I promised for the weekend 😬 Sorry for the delay things got crazy but I made sure to get this done ASAP and not months. I am working on the next update as well but give me like 2 weeks, I am trying to update more frequently but I'm not 16 or 17 anymore 😫 I'm 23 with big girl bills n life shizz going on but like my bio says I'll be back always!

Anywayyssssss do you think Zayn is smart to call D beforehand? How do you think Derrick should/will take it too? Imagine after all those years!!? Lol Love you guys 🥰