Chapter Thirteen: A Blood Bath Part I

Cristine

I was laying in bed, alone, of course, missing my lover as any would any. I would often lay on my side of the bed with a hand on his side of the bed, staring at the spot for a long while. I try to imagine him being there; facing my direction with a morning smile, but whenever I blinked the image would disappear and the other side of the bed will still be empty.

Sighing, I pulled the covers off of me before getting off of the bed and walking to the wardrobe. I opened it and grabbed my black gown from it. I slip my nightgown off my shoulders before it slipped down from my body.

After I put on my black attire, I leave the bedroom. Deciding to get fresh air, I made my way to the front door. I remembered to bring my hood with me just in case it gets chilly or if it rains.

As I stepped out of the stone threshold of the castle, I felt a gentle breeze hit my pale face. I shut my eyes and took a breath of the fresh air.

I walked down the stone steps, trying to ignore the unsettling sight of the rotting; impaled corpses close by. Though it wasn't entirely easy since I was still unsettled by their presence.

I quickly paced away from them and made my way to the forest.

While there, I finally began to smile at the beauty of the place. Flowers were still blooming, the few birds here still sung with their sweetest voices, the sun was still bright, and both the trees and grass were still in their healthy shade of green.

With joy, I heard the sound of a streaming river. I immediately rush over to it so I could feel and see it again.

I sat down beside a full-grown pine tree as I carefully leaned over and dipped my hand in the clear, cold river. I felt so content by it, it was just what I needed to ease myself from my worries.

As I stayed in that position, I began to feel my mind drift into a lovely memory of my childhood.

I was wandering and laughing in the fields at around the age of five. It was during late June. My sister was chasing me around, pretending to be a large monster." I'm gonna get you, Lil' Crissy! I'm gonna get you!", she stated in a deep but playful impersonation of a beast. Our mother watched us from afar with a smile while she set up the food. She called us over when she was done. We immediately stopped our little game and race towards her. Somehow, I managed to beat my sister there every time. She was out of breath when she got there.

My mind went straight back to reality once I found myself falling into the river. Luckily it was not deep or strong, so I didn't drift away.

I coughed for air as I tried getting myself up. I became so drenched that it was hard to get up or move my hair from my face. I managed to get back on the ground once my hand found its way on it. I gripped the grass tightly and pulled myself out. I sat down by the tree then moved the hair from my face before twisting it to wring the water out.

Thinking that it was enough time and that I needed to change attire, I got up and made my way back to the castle.

I immediately stopped once I heard some unfamiliar voices. When I turned my head to look, I gasped a little in horror to see that the voices belonged to a group of three priests. Urgently, I hid behind a tree to keep out of sight.

" The city was in ruins by the time I had left there.", one of them stated," There was so much blood and beasts, I still get nightmares of the event."

" The events of Targoviste happened almost a year ago. You should be over it by now.", another one stated. I placed a hand over my mouth to muffle my breathing as I heard them come closer.