Chapter Four: First Day and New Arrivals

Cristine

The day began with the sun shining brightly, almost like any other day. Only this time, I couldn't worry about the worst of things, at least not yet anyway since Adrien allowed me to stay with him. I felt as though he was too kind for letting me stay with him. Part of me thought he was just lonely, another part of me thought that he had an ulterior motive. But I perished the thought.

My eyelids opened slightly before I yawned. I then sat up and stretched my arms out a little. Part of me still wanted to lay in bed a little longer but the rest of me refused to let me waste the day any longer than it had to.

I get out of bed and left the room to search for my friend. But that is proven difficult due to the many hallways and many rooms this home of his contained.

As I searched for him, I look around the place with awe from the interesting architecture this place had and the paintings on the walls.

I stopped in my trails when one of the paintings caught my eye. The painting contained three individuals: One of them was a tall, dark man who looked to be in his forties, one was a woman in bright attire who was much shorter and appeared to be in her mid-twenties, and the third one was an infant child in white and blue, being held by the woman. I tilted my head to the side a little, looking at the painting a little closer.

I gasp in surprise when I feel a cold hand on my shoulder. I quickly turn and it was Adrien.

" You scared me.", I told him.

" Apologies, I had no intention of doing so.", he responded with a small smile but when he looked up at the painting, it disappears. I look back at the painting and point to it." Is that you and your parents?", she asked him.

" It is.", he answered.

"Your mother was beautiful.", I complimented. She truly was a sight to behold.

" She was, inside and out.", he acknowledged in a soft and seemingly tired tone. I turned my head and saw a bit of grief in his eyes. The death of his mother still affected him.

After a few small moments, he looked back at me in a more emotionless expression." I went to look for you in your bedroom but you were already gone. ", he said.

" Oh, I'm sorry. I was looking for you, but this castle is so large and confusing, I couldn't find you. This place is like a maze.", I explained to him with sincerity.

" Perhaps after breakfast, I should give you a tour of the place.", he told me then began to walk. I began to follow him when he became a few steps away.

I sat down in one of the chairs when we got to the kitchen. He served a bit of porridge with a few berries in it." Is it good?", he asked.

I looked at him and nodded my head a yes since my mouth was full at the moment. The taste was delicious with the berries.

We spent the next minute in silence as we ate. My eyes wandered a little as we did. Most of the time they would be directed at the two dolls. I could tell that he noticed when I heard him sigh. I looked at him after that." They are distracting, aren't they?", he asked.

" I never said that they were.", I told him. That was a lie, they were distracting me. In a way, they almost creeped me out, like I was being watched by those button eyes of theirs.

" I know", he stated," but I can tell that they are. You have been glimpsing at them a lot now."

I look down at my remaining few bites of food as a distraction since I didn't want to keep looking at the dolls. " No need to feel ashamed about it.", he told me, probably trying to comfort me or whatever it is he was trying to do.