Chapter Two: Heaven Before Hell

Cristine

Eight days later...

Every two days Adrian would come by to visit me. We would often either drink tea or walk around the woods as we talked with each other. As we talked, I began growing quite fond of him, becoming more intrigued about him. He must have been as alone as I was to visit so often.

While he was lying back on the grass, I was making a small crown made of yellow roses, marigolds, and jasmine. I looked at him over my shoulder and smiled softly at him. He was still lying down with his eyes shut like he was napping.

Just when I was about to finish making the flower crown, I heard a " What are you doing?" coming from Adrian.

I turned my head over my shoulder and saw Adrian, now lying on his side with his head lying in his hand, using his elbow for support.

" Oh, I was just making this.", I answered as I turned my body towards him and showed him the flower crown.

", I answered as I turned my body towards him and showed him the flower crown

" You made that? It looks lovely.", he said," It'll look pretty on you."

" Thank you but I made it for you.", I told him. He looked at me with a surprised expression on his face.

" For me?", he asked. I shook my head a yes before I leaned over and carefully placed it on his head. He then sat up straight before taking the crown off his head. He looked at it for a moment. My smiling face then turned into a look of concern." Do you not like it?", I asked him.

He looked at me with a mixture of confusion, shock, and joy as he chuckled," What? No, I like it. I like it very much. I just don't usually get gifts just because people want to.". He then placed it back onto his head.

I smiled at him again and commented," The crown suits you very well.". He smiled back at me.

" I think it suits me very well too.", he smiled. I then stopped smiling when I felt something wet on my shoulder. I looked to see what it was when it happened again in my head. I looked up and more drops of the cold wet liquid landed on me. I looked back at Adrian and suggested," Let's head inside.". We both got up I led him straight to my cottage. I opened the door and went inside first, he came in after.

" Do make yourself comfortable.", I tell him. I then walked towards the other side of the room where my small kitchen was. I then began preparing some tea for him and myself. " Lovely little jungle you have here.", I heard him say. I looked over at him and saw him standing in front of the unlit fireplace, observing the many plants I keep all around the place.

" What's a jungle?", I asked, tilting my head a little. "Jungle" was an unfamiliar word to me.

He looked at me and said," It's an area filled with overgrown plants.".

" Oh, that's interesting.", I responded then went back to what I was doing.

It's been half a dozen hours and the rain continued. Adrian and I just sat in front of the fire, talking about our interests while the rain kept going. We even managed to laugh a few times at the things we said.