Chapter Five: Unable to Sleep(Part I)

Cristine

Flashback from fifteen years earlier...

The night was dark as always like in the day, but the storm was much stronger than before. The thunder was louder, the wind was much stronger, and the rain was heavy. The sound of the raindrops made it almost impossible for me to sleep.

But the wind and the rain were never the problems why I could not sleep. It was lightning. One of my earliest memories of a storm that involved thunder and lightning was when I was no more than three years of age. A time when my mother was still alive and my sister was still with me. My sister and I shared the same bedroom, she never had a problem with lightning or thunder. She thought of them as intriguing and strangely relaxing to listen to. I found it uneasy.

The moment after a bolt of lightning struck I cried out," Mummy!". My sister groaned in annoyance as she woke up.

" Crissy, why must you always shout when a storm happens?", she asked, looking at me with her ivory-toned tired, and almost angry expression. Her wavy dirty blonde hair was a mess, her brown eyes narrowed at me, and she was sitting on her side with a hand as support. She was nine years old at the time but her mind was already practically an adult. Mother said that she was a prodigy in a "special" way, meaning that she was a "child genius", but I was never told what thought. Which was something that frightened our mother due to what horrible things the Church had done to people like that, including children.

" I didn't mean to wake you, Rosie. I just hate the--", before I could finish another lightning struck which made me cry out " Mummy!" again. She came to the door not long after that one. She was standing in the doorway, holding a lit candle. I looked at her with teary eyes.

She was in her late twenties to early thirties, with tall, long dirty blonde hair that was tied into a messy braid, skin that was pale as the snow, and eyes that were green as tree leaves in the spring. She wore a green robe with yellow trim and tie. I held up my arms as I whimpered to her" Mummy...". She gave me a soft smile as she went over to my bed, sat down then held me.

" Mummy the lightning scares me.", I sniffled into her chest. She gently rubbed my back in small circular motions while her free hand held my head closely.

" I know it does, my little fawn.", she told me in her soothing and bird-like voice," The lightning can be scary for many sometimes. ".

" I, however, find it fascinating and relaxing. It's practical music to my ears.", Rosella commented. She was usually called by her pet name "Rosie" rather than "Rosella" unless our mother was being strict with her. This ironically happens quite often since Rosella tended to get in trouble despite her being the oldest and mature one out of both of us.

The lightning then struck again for the third time, as always I cried again." Oh, calm down, Cristine. This happened many times before, you should be used to this--"

" Rosella, hush!", my mother instructed my sister. She only rolled her eyes then laid back down and pulled the covers over herself. Mother still was holding me close.

" I can't stop the thunder, my sweet. Would you like me to sing you to sleep?", she asked. I looked up at her and stopped the sniffling. I nodded my head yes.

She laid me back on the bed and tucked me in. She looked down at me with the same smile on her face as before. She then began to sing in her angelic tone:

"Little child, be not afraid
Though rain pounds harshly against the glass
Like an unwanted stranger
There is no danger
I am here tonight