11: 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚔𝚒𝚜𝚜

John B and Y/n had managed to get away from the lighthouse before the police could've spotted them. The Routledge boy still held his hand in the Maybank girl's hand, not letting go at all as they walked up a hill, away from the beach.

"Hey, look. You've got to admit, that was kind of promising. I mean, my dad, the Royal Merchant, the ranger, the Royal Merchant. I mean, coincidence? I don't think so." John B rambles, continuously glancing at her.

"It's his job to know about shipwrecks, John B." Y/n reminds in a soft tone.

"Okay, but the Royal Merchant?" John B asks.

"That's like the most famous shipwreck of all time. Redfield's one of the most common names in the Outer Banks. That could mean anything." Y/n explains. "Look, as wild-goose chases go, this was a really good one."

"Look, I don't know. Maybe we missed something at the lighthouse. We should go back." John B suggests. "You believe me, right?"

Y/n nods, staring into his eyes. "Of course, I do."

John B could hear the truthfulness in her tone of voice, making relief flow through him. Not wasting another second, he pulled his hand out of hers, wrapping his arms around his waist, giving the girl as giant hug, feeling her arms wrap around his shoulders.

As they hugged, John B couldn't help but think of all the times she's been there for him. Believing him about his dad, being there for him when he needed a shoulder to cry on. Y/n was always there. Despite anything, she was there. Once they pulled away from the hug, he decided to do a very bold move.

He kissed her.

Y/n was shocked at first, making John B slightly panic at his actions, but once she kissed back, he pulled her closer. As one hand stayed on her waist, the other cupped one of her cheeks, pulling her impossibly closer against his body as her hands rested on his shoulders.

"What about the rules?" Y/n asks breathlessly once they pulled back for air.

"Screw the rules." John B shrugs, pulling her back in for another kiss.

Their lips continue to move in sync, holding each other before the sound of police sirens were heard, causing them to pull apart.

"Routledge." A deep voice calls. The teenagers look over, seeing Deputy Shoupe hopping out of the police car. "I got you, son. Now, why don't you just be chill and not make me chase you?"

Sharing a look with the boy, Y/n walks behind John B, who digs into his back pocket, pulling out his father's compass, silently and sneakily handing it to the girl behind him before raising his hands in surrender.

***

Somehow, Y/n and John B had gotten out of the police station after they were both questioned. John B informed the girl what Peterkin had told him, saying his father's compass was evidence in an investigation.

Currently, the teenagers stood on the docks, Y/n giving a towel to the boy once he finished washing himself with a hose. They hadn't talked about their kiss, more like two, at all. They didn't know what to say, but they both liked it.

"Hey, employee of the month, where the hell you been?" A voice calls, making the teenagers look over, seeing a man looking a John B. "You taking some time with your girlfriend? Ward C's looking all over for you. You know he don't like to wait."

With that, the man walks off while John B dries himself. Y/n hands him his shirt back, watching his he covers his bare torso. The boy smirks slightly when she saw her staring at him.