The sting of betrayal

3rd person POV:

It was hard for Y/n to take in the warnings that Tubbo told them. They didn't want to believe that Wilbur would hurt them again after the promises to protect them from others doing the very same thing. Y/n felt torn, Tubbo wouldn't intentionally hurt them. That, they knew for a fact. At the same time Wilbur was a comfort, a familiarity, he was her home.

Except they didn't know the home had a gas leak. Carbon monoxide poisoning takes you by surprise. People usually don't tend to notice it until the overwhelming silence covers their consciousness, and they are swallowed by the feeling of darkness. Stuck in an eternal slumber cursed with the absence of dreams. Choking in the grasp of death.

Like how a frog will immediately jump out of boiling water. Unless, you put it in there when the water is still cool and you slowly raise the heat. Eventually, death will take over those who are oblivious to dangerous situations. Maybe if someone warned them, said "hey you're gonna die" things would be different. But maybe it was already too late, the frog had already slipped consciousness or someone had placed a lid on the pot.

Y/n didn't like the thought of being manipulated, and that's why they were so sure about that not being the case with Wil. Perhaps Tubbo was looking too into it, Y/n was always a forgiving person, wasn't that the case?
Reguardless they would follow Tubbo's advice, they would be more careful around Wilbur. As confident as she was in Wilbur, there was still that small seed of doubt planted deep within.

So with that bearing in mind, they decided to head out to talk to someone who had information. Phil. They of course had noticed how tense Philza would get when mentioning Wilbur to him. There was no mistaking the slight wince his face even though he attempted to mask it.

Y/n gave a firm knock at the door while they pinned their hair out of their face. She felt the pit in her stomach grow while she waited for the door to open. What if he didn't have answers? What if the answers weren't what they wanted to hear? What if Wilbur was home?

"Yes mate?" They hadn't realized he was standing there until he spoke.

"Oh is Wilbur home?"

"No, he went out for a walk." Y/n's shoulders relaxed. "Did you need something from him?"

"Oh no. I actually wanted to speak to you." Phil paused for a moment before his face wore a confused expression.

"Oh?"

"Can I come in?" Their voice was strong, making the sentence seem more a beg than a request.

"Of course."

They made their way inside and sat at the kitchen table. This place held so many good memories, but the severity of the situation dulled down any joy left.

"What did you want to talk about?" He gave them a small smile trying to calm down the obvious nerves that were filling the air.

"Look I just want the truth, don't sugarcoat it." Phil's eyebrows raised in surprise but merely nodded.

"Why are you so nervous whenever I mention Wilbur?"

He sighed looking away.

"Okay, I know about you too meeting up every night."

Y/n furrowed their eyebrows. Every night? Wilbur only came a few times a week, and how did Phil know? Her question was answered when he continued to explain.

"He leaves so late in the night, so I started watching, seeing where he goes and it's always your house. I'm not trying to be overbearing so I leave as soon as I see where he's headed."

"He goes every night?" That sent a chill down her back. That couldn't be right. Was that why she couldn't fall asleep the other night? If that was the case shouldn't it be like that every night? What the fuck.

"Wait, you do see him every night, right?" Phil asked. He was clearly missing something, he was always so tense because he knew how explosive Wil could be when is came to Y/n so he didn't mention he knew about their meetups. It turns out Y/n didn't even know about half of them.

"Are you sure he comes every night?"  His silence was all the answer they needed. Fear quickly crashed onto them as they hadn't realized just how truly obsessive Wilbur was. Tubbo was right, and she had never felt so stupid.

"Oh my god. I'm gonna go, thank you Phil."

"Wait!" Philza called to them.

"Yes?"

"Please be careful." It was supposed to be words of advice but it had only frightened Y/n more than they already were. Wilbur's own father was afraid of what he could do to Y/n.

In an instant, Y/n embraced Philza to try to comfort him, although it did wonders more for them than him. The hug ended all to quickly as Y/n realized they had to get going to confront Wilbur. They quickly said their goodbyes and headed off. If Philza Minecraft knew that it would be the last time he would see them, he wouldn't have let them go, or at the very least went with them. However he didn't, and while he got to say a final goodbye, he would look back on it later and wish he'd done more.
-

Y/n's quick footsteps made tiny crunches on the dirt road she was running on. Where the hell was he? Phil had told them he went for a walk but he wasn't on his usual path.

"Looking for someone?" The grin in his voice was painfully obvious. Y/n's breathing picked up and they found themselves at a loss for words.

"I was going to see you tonight." He went to grab their hands but they flinched.

"Like how you saw me last night?" Her voice was quiet but it was so full of anger. Wilbur furrowed his brows in confusion.

"I didn't come last night?"

"Oh but you did see me didn't you? I just didn't see you." Wilbur fell silent.

"How long?" Their voice was so small.

"What?" Wilbur asked.

"HOW LONG? How long have you been watching me you creep?"

"I wanted to make sure you were safe! To protect you from those who hurt you!"

"Oh my god." Y/n felt sick, the urge to throw up hit them like a train and they realized everything.

"It was you! You went after Quackity, I trusted you Wilbur!"

"He's a piece of shit and got what he deserved!"

"No! You are, oh my god stay away from me!"

"What? No Y/n don't leave me!" Wilbur grabbed their hand and squeezed it desperately and demanding at the same time.

"Stay the FUCK away from me Wilbur Soot, you disgust me! I hate you!" They ripped their hand away from his and turned and ran. Trying to get as far away from Wilbur as possible.

Wilbur fell to his knees, his eyes wide with shock and devastation, finally comprehending what had just happened.

Wilbur POV:

Shit. Shit. SHIT. Oh my god they left. No, they can't. They can't leave me I need them, they need me. I can't live without them.

I was just trying to protect her and she left me. They fucking left me. Tears fell onto my cheeks but I quickly wiped them away. A laugh escaped from my chest, it was kind of funny. After everything I did for them they think they can just leave? I got back onto my feet and ran in the direction they did.