eight

I had to squint as I opened my eyes, while bright lights hit my face. I heard a couple of beeping noises, and eventually realized that I was in the hospital. I managed to open my eyes wider and saw all the machines around me, a couple being attached to my arm. Everything seemed bright, white and polished, too perfect.

"Kalani?" I heard someone say.
I blinked and looked over at the person, who was beside me. It was Liv, anxiously biting her nails and staring at me.
"Thank fuck you're awake!" She exclaimed, reaching over me to hug me. I didn't move, completely puzzled.

"Freddie and JJ are outside" She said, before going to open the door and beckoning them inside.

They walked in, looking shaken up.
"Guys?" I hoarsely whispered.
"Kal? You're awake!" Freddie said, also hugging me, along with JJ.
"What happened to me?" I asked, as I looked at the needles that were in my arm.
"We found you passed out in the woods. Your head was pouring with blood" Freddie said.
"You must have tripped onto a rock after... after you ran off" JJ added.
"Oh shit" I replied.

I looked up and saw a bandage hanging just over my eye. My head still felt sore, and everything at Gobblers End felt like years ago. I was miles away, like none of this was real life.

"How long have I been here then?"
"A couple weeks. They put you into a coma" Olivia told me.

My eyes widened in shock.

"I've been in a coma?"
"So they could fix your head, and make sure everything was ok. It was pretty bad" He nodded, pointing at my forehead.
I felt it with my hand, and my fingers were met with soft bandages. I remembered falling, smashing my head, running away from the others...Cook. Everything came flooding back. I put my head in my hands and winced.

"Kal? Should I get a nurse?" Liv asked.
"No, it's just...I remember everything now" I sighed.
"I'm going to get a coffee" Liv said before leaving the room, clearly sensing me and the boys had shit to talk through.

Freddie took her seat and continued.
"Everything kicked off didn't it" Freddie joked. I cracked a smile, before it faded again.
"I'm...i'm really sorry about the whole Cook thing.."
"It's fine" Freddie shrugged.
"Really?"
"It wasn't at first. I was angry, JJ was confused but then we realised we've got bigger fish to fuck" He replied, gesturing at my hospital room.
"Yeah, I-I mean, we'll still hang out right? We'll still be us?" JJ asked, shifting from foot to foot.
"Course" I nodded. "Speaking of Cook, where is he?"

Freddie's smile immediately faded, and JJ gulped. They both suddenly stared down at the floor.

"J?"
JJ shook his head and didn't look up.
"Freddie? Freddie, where the fuck is Cook?" I frowned, sitting up a little more.
"Cooks... he's run away" Freddie sighed.
"What, like on a bender? Well that's fine he fucks off all the time. He'll be back" I shrugged.
"No. He's been gone for ages Kal. Not a couple days like before. I've tried texting him, he's with his dad, he's not coming back"
"His dad?"

My face fell. His Dad was the last person he needed. He's never cared about him. He feeds Cook empty promises and fucks off last minute. This wasn't gonna last.

"Well we need to find him!" I said. My voice wavered a little, as I tried not to worry.
"He doesn't want to be found Kal" Freddie sighed.
"But what if he's in trouble? We need to fucking find him" I frowned. My hands shook a little as I tried not to let any tears escape.
"We cant Kal. We just can't" JJ sighed.

                                      -

"Need a hand?" Liv asked, as I slowly walked up to the house.
"No" I mumbled.