twelve

"Emily just tried to strangle me half to death" Cook smiled, sitting up on the table I was eating at.
"How come?" I frowned.
"Naomi told her about the drug thing" He shrugged, plucking a chip off my plate.
"Secrets out then" I sighed.
"Yep. Shes not happy about it. I managed to calm her down though" He replied, grabbing another chip.
"How?"

He took a slip of paper out of his pocket.

"Look at that"
I read it and frowned.
"What the fuck?"
"The detective, I stole his fucking briefcase. His mum still leaves him notes in his sandwiches look" He smiled, stealing another chip.
"No way" I giggled.
"See, I told you everything would be fine" He said, putting a finger on my chin and tilting it upwards so I faced him.
I nodded, smiling at him for a long moment.

"You've got ketchup all over your face you tosser" I laughed, handing him a napkin.
"Where? Here?" He joked, pointing in the completely wrong place.
"No, here" I said, pointing at it.
"Here?" He pointed in the wrong place again.
"Here!"
"What here?" He wiped some on the tip of my nose.
"Are you fucking serious!" I gasped, and reached forward to hit him. He dodged it and ran away, laughing, before Emily came and sat next to me.

"What's up Ems?" I smiled, while scrubbing my face with a napkin.
She glanced at me, before staring behind me again. I looked over. She was staring at Naomi.
"Ems?"
"Have you ever.. loved someone and then..something happens and..you wonder if perhaps you didn't ever know them at all?"
"What do you mean?"
"Do you trust him?" She asked, turning to nod at Cook.

I looked over and saw him and Effy, who were hugging and talking by the vending machine.

"Yeah, definitely" I nodded.
"But..now that you two are together aren't you worried he might..fuck Eff again?"
I slowly frowned.
"Would rather not think about that Ems" I replied.
"..Fuck, sorry" She said, putting her head in her hands.
"What's wrong? Is something up with you and Naomi?" I asked.
She lifted her head up again, but couldn't look me in the eye.
"I don't know" She said. "Things just keep to be getting worse right now"
I leaned in and hugged her, letting her head rest on my shoulder.

"This whole Sophia thing. I just can't escape it"
"Me neither"
"It's just..I think Naomi knew her? But she won't tell me anything other then.."
"The fact that she sold Sophia the MDMA?"
She pulled away, her eyes widening.
"You know?"
"Cook told me. Don't worry, I won't let it slip"
She stared at me for a second, before sighing and reaching into her bag, pulling out a University booklet.

"Goldsmiths? But I thought-"
"It's not for me. Look"
She opened it to a marked page and there was a picture of Naomi and Sophia.
"Shit. They knew each other" I whispered, tracing the picture with my finger. Seeing her face made me feel shaky again.
"I don't know what to do" Emily said.
"Get to the bottom of it. Ask Naomi"

Emily snapped the book shut and tucked her fringe out of her face.

"Right. I'm gonna get to the bottom of it" She nodded. "Gonna get to the bottom of it..."
She stood up and took a few steps away, before turning on her heel and coming back.
"Will you come with?"
I nodded, and walked with her.

"Why didn't you tell me you knew her?" Emily asked, crossing her arms.
Naomi stood feebly in front of her, struggling to look her in the eye.
"Em, not in front of Kal-"
"Answer my question Naomi"
"..Fine. I met her once. At an open day"
"What open day?" Emily frowned.
"It was an open day, what does it matter?"
"But aren't you two going traveling next year?" I asked.
"Yeah, we decided?" Emily said.
"You decided" Naomi shot. "Look, I went to an open day, I met a girl, we talked, that's it"
"You should've told me!"
"Well how could I without telling you where you where I met her? I didn't want a referendum on our relationship over a stupid open day!"
"Did you know she was gay?"
"I met her once"
"Did you fuck her?"
"No! Do you think i'd shag something random girl behind your back?"
"I'm not saying you did it"
"Well what are you saying?"
"I'm just asking!"
"Why are you acting like this?"
"..Her mum seems to think we knew her"
"You went to her house?" I asked.
Emily nodded.
"You promised me you'd stay out of it! Stay out of it!" Naoms cursed, looking more worried now.
"Do you know what this is for?" Emily asked, handing Naomi a key with a keychain attached.
"Looks like something to do with the army.." I said, staring at the design.
"Probably her cadet locker key?" Naomi replied.
"How do even know that Naomi?" Emily said, taking the key back.
She grabbed hold of my hand and began walking away.
"Where are you going?" Naomi sighed.
"To find out if you're lying" Emily said, not looking back.
"Oh, nice. Let's go then" Naomi said, catching up to us.