fifteen

I woke up to the feeling of sunlight beaming on my face. Haven't felt that in a couple weeks. I felt along the bed and realized Cook was gone. Maybe he was never here? It was a dream, a blur. I instead reached for my pills, though I soon realized they weren't there either. My cigs were gone too. What the fuck?

I slowly opened my eyes, squinting a little. I lifted my head off my pillow and rolled over to sit up, and saw my entire room was clean and my curtains flung open. My ashtray was emptied, the pill packets and empty bottles were gone, everything was clean.

"Kal? You're awake" I heard Cook say. I looked up and saw him walking in, shirtless, with a tired look in his eyes. He'd clearly not slept all night. He was holding a plate of toast and a cup of tea, which he placed on my bedside table.

"Where are my pills?" I muttered.
"Think you need to lay off them for a few days"

I stared at him.

"I'm not the one grinding my teeth" I frowned.
"I needed something to keep me going while I cleaned this place didn't I" He smiled. "Come eat something"
He handed me a piece of toast, which I took a couple bites of just to keep him happy. I handed the rest back to him.
"Not having anymore?"

I shook my head and laid back down, burying my head in the pillow.
He sighed, tucking the hair out of my face.

"I talked to Freds. He told me how you've been acting. D'you wanna tell me what's going on?"
I stayed silent.
"Kal? You listening?"
I didn't reply, and instead shut my eyes tighter.
"Kalani" He slowly pulled me up by my arms, forcing me to look at him. I stared at him for a moment, before a smirk rose on my face. I pushed him down and started kissing him, going all the way down his body. He let it happen for a few moments before pushing me off.

"Kal- Kalani this is me ok? Me" He said, sitting up to look me in the eyes.
"And this is me?" I frowned.
"Jesus what the fuck is up with you?"
I let my eyes wander downwards.
"This has to stop, right fucking now"
He took me into the bathroom, undressed me and sat me under the running shower. I tried to hide my wrists but he eventually saw them, and took hold of my arm.

"What the fuck.." He mouthed as he realized what the scars were. He placed his hand over them, stroking them with his thumb.
"This is bad, this is really fucking bad" He muttered.
I stared up at him while he rinsed my hair. He was clearly worried as fuck, but still managed to smile down at me. He cares way too much.

-

"Why the fuck did you bring me here" I bluntly asked, while Cook led me into the park. He made sure to keep his hood up incase anyone recognized him.
"Fresh air and all that, might do you good" He shrugged, keeping a tight grip on my hand.
I suddenly prized my hand away from his and took off running, the wind blowing my hair.
"What the- WHERE ARE YOU GOING" Cook yelled.
"COME ON!" I yelled back, laughing.
He caught up to me and I tackled him down onto the soft grass, laughing hysterically. We laid back and stared up at the clouds, but the more I looked at them...the more I saw the shadows poking through.

"That ones JJ" Cook said, pointing up at the sky. "That one looks like Freds, look"
"They're faces..behind the skin" I muttered.
"Skin?"
"Between this world and the next"
"What?"
"Their teeth, and their claws coming out, trying to break through"
"Kal have you taken something?"
I turned to him. It was too late. Now they wanted him too.
"You have to go Cook"
"What?"
"They're not just coming for me anymore! They're after you too! I'm sorry, i'm so sorry"
"Kal you're not making any fucking sense!"
"From the moment I saw you, I knew it was the closest i'd ever get to being...close. I didn't know what to do with that feeling. Love"
"Listen, Kal-" He paused to kiss me. "You are the closest i've-"
"But they know now! And they're hungry, really fucking hungry because, for as long as I know they've been chasing me! And now they wanna take you too!"
"Kal please you're freaking me out-"
"Now they're ready, now they're strong enough to break through! And I cant fight them...I used to be able to when I was strong but...you've made me weak.." A stray tear poured down my cheek. "And now I cant..I cant"
I struggled to get out of his grasp as I saw the shadows come closer: I needed to get away now.
"Kalani there's no one fucking there"
"I cant- get off me- they're ready now! they're coming!"
"I'll fight them is that gonna stop you? I'll fucking fight them!" He said, and he ran towards the shadows yelling:
"FUCK OFF! FUCK OFF!! YOU CUNTS ILL KILL YOU ALL! FUCK OFF"
The shadows suddenly disappeared, and we were safe again. He looked so funny, running around yelling to keep me safe. A smile crept up on my face and I feel into a laughing fit before the sky started to get dark again. They were back already? I looked around and saw them surrounding us, inching closer and closer. I saw them behind Cook, ready to pounce.