Chapter 1: The Discovery

Yellow flowers. Yellow flowers with thorns. Yellow flowers with thorns covered in blood. 

Bill was kneeling in front of the toilet, throwing up those flowers. They tore up his throat, causing it to bleed.

Why does unrequited love cause this? It hurt and slowly killed its victims. There were two known cures for it. Surgery or confessing.

Surgery saved the victim, but also took away the person’s ability to love someone in a romantic sense. Most people with this option. The surgery was cheap and had a high success rate. It was also quick and painless. Some people don’t go this route, not wanting to let go of the one they fell for in that sense.

Confessing was far riskier and most of the time didn’t work out in the victim’s favour. If the one they fell in love with returned their feelings, the flowers and thorns would leave their lungs, feeling them and allowing them to breathe without problems. The most common thing that happens when a person confesses is, the person turning them down, and the flowers and thorns bursting out of the victim’s lungs, killing them extremely painfully. It was a sad, yet common way for a person to go.

The question that you might have on your mind is, who did Bill love that caused this? The answer is quite easy, Mason “Dipper” Pines. That’s right, you read that correctly, Bill Cipher, the ex-all powerful, all-knowing, dream demon, fell for a mere mortal.

Bill always loved Dipper, since the moment he laid his eye on him. He didn’t know what the feeling was back then, believing that it was just another useless emotion that he didn’t need, so he brushed it aside. Plus, Dipper wouldn’t love him back, no matter how much he wanted him to. Once he asked Mabel what these emotions were, he never would have guessed that this would have happened.

He’s seen it thousands of times throughout history, as it was a common disease. Many of his old slaves have it and refuse to get rid of it, so he saw one or two die every day from it. But this was different. He had it, not someone else. He never wanted to have it, yet here he was, throwing up flowers and thorns. Bill regretted ever making fun of those with it.

Hanahaki. That’s what Bill has. It was a deadly disease that slowly filled the victim’s lungs with any kind of flower and thorns. The thorns punctured the walls of the lungs, slowly filling them up with blood. They tore up the throat when they came up, causing a little bit of blood to bleed out.

The cause? While it’s true that no one truly knows how it happens, one thing is for sure. It stems from one’s romantic love for someone else and their love not being returned in the victim’s eyes, or for Bill, eye.

Bill’s flowers were a beautiful golden yellow that seemed to glitter in the light. They were Bill in flower form. Yellow and extra. Beautiful, yet extremely deadly. The flowers themselves weren’t harmful, it was more the thorns that came with. And the fact that they were slowly filling up Bill’s lungs.

If Bill didn’t do anything, he wouldn’t last more than 3 months. At least, that’s what his guess was. But, what could he do? He couldn’t tell Dipper, he would get rejected in the blink of his eye. He couldn’t get the surgery, he didn’t want to let go of the feelings. It was stupid, he’s seen the payoff for that thousands of times before, but he couldn’t. 

No one wanted to find out that they have Hanahaki. Why would they? To know that you were slowly dying because of your love for someone else and that they most likely don’t like you back. That wasn’t a fun fate and you’d be insane if you wanted to have it. Well, more insane than Bill. Bill was an insane person, or he was at one point, and he doesn’t want it.

But of course, Bill just had to have it. Of course, it had to be Dipper. Why couldn’t it have been someone else? Why did it have to happen in the first place? Why did love have to be so hard? What was the point of it all?

A special thanks to my friends @ShootingStar124 and @ZaneChanshipper21 for their help

Day that this chapter was completed: 6/19/2021
Word Count: 752