Close Calls

"We are each our own devil and we make this world our hell." - Oscar Wilde

~~~

Chapter 3
Saturday- September 6th, 2014

I'll never quite understand why my eyes insist on still being exhausted but my brain disagrees, causing me to toss and turn in bed but failing to fall back asleep. I had always managed to wake up before the crack of dawn, regardless of what time I went to sleep. If the sun was up, so was I.

I sighed, turning over on my left side to see a sleeping Charlie in the twin sized bed next to me. His thick, brown hair was a frazzled mess and light snores escaped from his open mouth. Unlike me, Charlie hardly ever woke up before noon.

We had shared a dorm room ever since we first started attending the University of North Dakota last year. We were sophmores now, but still just as confused about what career path we wanted to get into. How are we supposed to plan what we wanted to do for the rest of our lives, when we barely knew anything about life itself? We were only nineteen, for Christ's sake.

I had already changed my major three times; from Civil Engineering to Mechanical Engineering to Aviation. Charlie was aiming for some kind of career involving computers but unsure of what yet. So we were all just a mess.

Like a freight train of memories, flashes of last night suddenly burst through my head. Unfortunuately, I could still remember it all. Being dragged to a party that I didn't even want to attend in the first place, getting my ass beat at practically the only talent I had, losing $100 and meeting Ash Taylor.

A chill ran down my spine at the thought of him. After my clearly alcohol induced, ridiculous thoughts about him being attractive, I ran out of there faster than a firefighter from a burning building. I absolutely did not, under any circumstances find men attractive. Especially not Ash, especially not a freaking drug dealer.

I had loved girls since I was born; with their soft, silky skin, their beautiful hair, their fatt butts and delicious boobs. Hell, I had been in a very sexually active relationship with a girl for the past four years. I wasn't gay, I don't even know why I was giving the possibilty a second thought. It was preposterous. But why had I had that thought?

Suddenly, my cell phone began vibrating on my bedside table. I snatched it up and ran into the hallway, in order to not wake Charlie up.

I answered, "Hello?"

A sweet, feminime voice replied, "Hello, dear." It was my mother.

I questioned with concern, "Mom, why are you calling so early? Is everything okay?"

My mom sounded a bit tired as she said, "Well, I happen to know my son has always been an early bird...just like his father, but were you asleep? Did I interrupt?"

I shook my head, "No, I was awake."

I glanced around the hallway to find it empty, which wasn't surprising. I had already discovered, I was typically the first one awake in my dorm building.

"Good, good. Well, I have some news that I would prefer to not share over the phone but since you're three hours away at college, it appears to be my only choice."

I gulped, loudly, "Mom, what's going on? Are you okay? Did something happen to Brendon?"

Brendon was my older brother, by two years but ever since he had turned 21, he had been getting into a lot of trouble. Bar fights, getting fired from work and his most recent altercation being arrested for public intoxication. My brother and I were fairly close but had drifted apart here lately, so I had not a clue what had caused his random outbreak of rebellion.