Wandering Eyes

"Because there's nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing the shoreline, no matter how many times it's sent away." - Sarah Kay

~~~

Chapter 4
Saturday- September 6th, 2014

I turned around to see none other than, Ash Taylor standing a few feet away. He was wearing a plain black, short sleeve shirt with a loose-fitting pair of grey sweatpants. His hands were in the pockets of his pants and that stupid smirk was on his face.

Ash added with a chuckle, "I would say poker legend but I guess that's my title now, aye?"

I rolled my eyes, "Funny."

I tried to ignore the fact that my stomach felt queasy at the sight of him standing there, his brown hair shining in the sunlight. Why did he have such a weird affect on me?

Ash smiled, "What are you doing out?"

I replied bluntly, "Went to the gym, now going back to my dorm to get ready for work." Why did he care?

Ash nodded with a hint of amusement in his eyes, "Ah, the very humane, daily activities. How wretched that must be."

I held back a scoff. Yeah, you wouldn't know anything about humane activities would you, Mr. Drug Dealer?

I muttered, "Yeah, I guess."

Ash changed the subject, "Well, anyways, I came over to see if you'd be interested in a rematch tonight?"

Luckily I had an excuse because even if I did have money, I was not looking for a rematch with him anytime soon.

"Sorry, no can do. I'm completely broke."

Ash frowned so quickly that I almost missed it but then the sly smile returned quickly, "Oh, don't worry. No money will be involved."

I rose an eyebrow, "Then how will we play? Do shots?"

Ash shrugged, "Maybe. You'll have to come over and see." His eyes gave nothing away but mischief. Did I really want to go to this drug dealers house again? The answer was no.

I seriously said, "I don't do drugs."

Ash rolled his eyes, "No drugs will be involved either. Come on, Riley come. Unless you're that frightened, I'll kick your ass again."

I knew what he was doing, the whole reverse psychology thing. Tricking me into coming by taking a stab at my ego and well, it was working.

I sputtered, "Fuck no, you just got lucky, Taylor."

Ash chuckled huskily, "Prove it then, Justice."

I crossed my arms across my chest, "Fine, I will. I get off work at 9:00, say I come over at about 9:30?"

Ash smirked, "Alright, that works and I'll invite a few people to join us."

I nodded, "Okay."

Ash gave me a small smile before turning and walking away, "See you later, poker boy."

Ah hell, what did I just get myself into?

~~~

At 9:30, I was strolling up the pathway to Ash's house and questioning my life choices. What was I doing here? Why did I feel compelled to be here? Was it the fact that the gambling addiction ran in my family or was it something else?

I had to admit, that I was scared. I was scared that I would end up exactly like my dad. I liked to believe that I had more self-control than him but walking up onto the front porch, I began contemplating if that was true or not.