Bro Time

"There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not in my nature." - Jane Austen

~~~
Chapter 13
Sunday- October 5th, 2014

To say I felt uncomfortable about yesterday's events would be an understatement. I was confused, irritated and completely distressed.

I thought for sure he was about to kiss me last night, I rolled off him quickly and made a joke about the whole thing before insisting I needed to leave to do homework.

I wasn't sure what had gotten into Ash but he had taken things too far; I could handle his flirting on a small level but that? It wasn't okay. I felt the need to distance myself from him; perhaps some distance would be good for us. He needed to sort himself out and maybe, I did too...

So, today was dedicated to "bro time", just Charlie and I hanging out. We were currently sitting in our dorm room playing Halo 4 so intensely, as if it was a real life situation and not just a game.

Charlie growled, as he was killed for the fourth time, "Again? Shit, that bastard has to be cheating."

I joked, "Or you just suck" as I easily shot the guy whom just killed him.

He scoffed, "You just got lucky."

This continued on for an hour, with our only conversation being yelling and cursing at anyone on screen whom killed us.

After an hour, Charlie finally acknowledged me but without removing his eyes from the screen. "So you planning on moving out?"

I glanced at him in confusion, "Excuse  me?"

Charlie shrugged, "Well, you're just never around anymore, hardly ever sleep in your own bed. Might as well just move in with him, right?"

I was startled by his random question; why the hell would he think I wanted to move out? I mean sure, I had been spending quite a few nights at Ash's house but that didn't mean I planned on moving in with him, especially not after last night.

I muttered, "No, I have no intentions of doing that. I like living with you. You're my best friend, man."

Charlie breathed deeply, "Well, it just doesn't really feel like it anymore. Ash has pretty much replaced me."

Charlie refused to look at me but I could practically feel the sorrow and jealousy radiating off of him. I wasn't aware that me spending so much time with Ash was actually bothering him. I mean, we were in college, we were bound to find other friends but we would still stick together, no matter what.

I paused the game, turning to look at him while he stared down at the controller in his hands. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel that way. Becoming friends with Ash wasn't really part of my plan but it just happened and...."

I collected my thoughts for a moment before finishing, "Look, I'll make more time to hangout, okay? I promise."

Charlie looked up at me and nodded, "Okay."

I patted his back, "I love you, dude."

Charlie rolled his eyes, "Okay, enough with the sentimentals. Shit, what's happened to us? We sound like a bunch of girls."

I laughed and unpaused the game, thankful to have that moment over with. I'm glad he brought it up though if it was truly bothering him. I didn't want to be a shitty friend to Charlie, not after everything we'd been through and after everything he had helped me with. I cherished our friendship; it may simply consist of playing video games, debating over whom was the best character in 'Game of Thrones' and stuffing our stomachs with greasy food, but I enjoyed it.