Vulnerbility

"The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off." - Joe Klaas

~~~

Chapter 24
Monday- November 3rd, 2014

William Justice, aka my dad turned around quickly with an overly excited smile on his face, "Riley! Glad you could make it, I've been waiting here for awhile. Charlie refused to let me in which is odd, I remember that boy being much nicer."

I rolled my eyes, "Why are you here?"

Dad retorted, "Well, I'd like to speak with you, see how things are going."

I rose an eyebrow, "You drove 3 hours just to see how things are going? Seriously?"

He opened and closed his mouth like a fish, trying to find the right words to say. "I-I missed my family. Is that a crime?"

A few students were lingering in the hallway and I could tell some were eavesdropping. I'd prefer if the whole school didn't know about my family issues, nosy bastards.

I sighed, "Here, come in."

I opened my dorm room door, reluctantly allowing him inside. Damn mom for telling him where I lived. What the hell were we supposed to talk about?

Charlie was sitting on his bed, looking at his laptop but quickly looked up when he saw us entering.

My dad distracted himself with looking around the room, while I ran over to Charlie. I whispered, "Why didn't you make him leave?"

Charlie replied quietly, "I tried! He wouldn't budge. I told him you wouldn't want to see him but he didn't listen."

I grumbled, "Well, thanks for trying."

Dad looked at us with a fake grin, while he pointed to a baseball poster I had on the wall, "You still like the Royals, huh?"

I murmured, "Yeah, I guess."

Charlie stood up, clearing his throat, "Well, I'll leave you two alone."

I wanted to grab him by the neck and force him to stay but we weren't on the best terms and he probably wouldn't take nicely to violence.

He walked out the door, leaving the room eerily quiet.

Dad spoke casually, "So how's engineering? Keeping your grades up?"

I sat down on my bed and huffed, "I'm an Aviation major now, you'd know that if you paid any attention whatsoever."

He bit his bottom lip, looking a bit nervous, "Sorry, sorry....you're right, I should've paid more attention. I was never fully there for you kids growing up and you didn't deserve that. I had a problem, an addiction you might say. But I'm better now! I haven't gambled since your mother and I got a divorce. I've been working really hard to mend the mistakes I've made. Your mother- she's forgiven me and I'd really love if my sons did, too. I know it's asking for a lot and I don't have the best track record, but I'm trying here."

I shook my head, refusing to meet his eyes, "You don't just ask for forgiveness, you have to earn it and as far as I'm concerned, you haven't done anything to earn it. You showing up here and apologizing isn't enough, dad."