CHAPTER 1: Silver eyes

Evan Cooper

Only three days ago Evan Cooper and his family had moved in town, and he was already walking in the crowded hallways of his new school. He wasn't overly excited about being the new guy at his last year of high school, but it wasn't like he had other options.

Don't cry over spilt milk, as Evy would have said. What was done, was done and there was no time to cry over it.

"Well well, isn't it Evan Cooper who cared to join us", one of the guys gathered in a small group at the back of the classroom greeted him. The guy was Damien, a member of the school's field hockey team.

It was Evan's first day in the school, but he had already met three of his classmates — Damien, Chase and Kingston — in a tryout for the hockey team. They were all in the team now, which happened to be the golden ticket for Evan to join the popular students of the school.

Kingston was the leader of the group. Evan liked him already, because he was fun to be around with. Chase didn't seem too bad either, although the guy had a serious addiction to his phone. Damien seemed nice as well, if you could ignore the fact he had absolutely no filter or whatsoever.

"Who's your pair?" Chase asked.

"Someone called Paul Jr. Campbell." Evan answered, having absolutely no idea to whom the name belonged to.

"Oh, good luck with that. " Damien snorted and turned to look at someone who was sitting at the other corner of the classroom.

Evan followed his gaze and his eyes landed on a guy, who was wearing a thick flannel shirt, a worn Ramones shirt, equally worn jeans and combat boots, despite the sultry weather. He was sitting alone, and people around him kept their distance.

"What do you mean?" Evan didn't get an answer, because that's when their teacher decided to show up.

"Hi, my name is Charles Wells, but go ahead and call me Charlie." The teacher introduced himself. He was a middle-aged man, scrawny and tall. His hair was pitch black and he was wearing thick glasses, which framed his dark eyes. In his hands dangled bags after bags full of food and other supplies for the trip.

"Okay, so here we have the snacks. I've packed them for you, and it's one for each, but.." Charlie's voice trailed off as Evan's gaze wandered back to the guy who was sitting alone not far from Evan's group.

"Go to your pair now. I reckon I sent you the list earlier this week." The teacher ended his speech.

Evan, who was still staring at his pair, noticed the guy didn't react to the teacher's speech in any way. He was just browsing his phone, looking sulky. So, it had to be Evan who went to him. The guy lifted his head and their gazes locked. His eyes were mesmerising, so light grey they looked like pure silver.

"You must be Paul Jr.? I'm Evan." Evan gave his pair an easy smile. It was the kind of smile that melted hearts.

Usually.

Evan had just enough time to imprint in his mind what his pair looked like: he had light brown hair, in a cold shade, delicate features and pale skin that emphasised the dark circles under his silver eyes.

He looks like an angel, I don't see what's there not to like..

"It's Junior, jock." The guy, Junior, spat. He was glaring at Evan like he would rather have crushed him into pieces right there and then.

Okay, now I see it.

***

The bus didn't have working air conditioning, so they were all sweating before the trip even started. As Evan was boiling in his t-shirt, he couldn't help but wonder how Junior could keep on the flannel shirt and the combat boots.