CHAPTER 9: A warning

Evan Cooper

The teacher had a humdrum voice, which made the Big Bang theory sound as boring as some random manual for some random device you don't even own. Evan glanced to his left and two rows behind him sat Junior. His eyes met the gaze of the silver ones. Junior rolled his eyes and grimaced to indicate how much he enjoyed being in the biology class listening to the teacher's vapid voice.

Evan grinned back at him, feeling foolishly euphoric seeing Junior looking so happy. He wanted to rush to him and shower him with hugs and kisses, but Junior probably wouldn't have been too happy about that.

Instead Evan thought about the weekend he had spent with Junior. He remembered how it felt to finally feel Junior's touch on his skin. Even if it was just because he had fallen asleep and snuggled against him to find a more comfortable position to sleep in.

At first Evan had held his breath, afraid of waking Junior up and making him move further from him. Only when it had seemed like Junior was fast asleep, he had dared to breathe normally again. Evan had caressed Junior's hair, knowing that was the most he could do, yet even that had felt like heaven.

Being that close to Junior, Evan could smell the faint scent of soap from his skin. He could feel Junior's body was leaner than his, but he wasn't bony. When he touched Junior's hair, it felt soft against his fingertips. Evan could see faded freckles on his skin, now that he was so close. Evan had tried to watch the movie, but it had been practically impossible when all he could feel and think about was the person sleeping next to him.

Eventually Junior had woken up, but he seemed reluctant to leave, so Evan offered he could spend the night. Even if Junior lived next door, Evan was glad to save him from the trip home to get the supplies for the night. Evan had found an unopened toothbrush and lent Junior a t-shirt and sweatpants that hung loose on him.

Junior slept in their guest room and when Evan had woken him up the next morning, he had found Junior sleeping in the bed, PB nestled tightly against his body. If you asked Evan, anyone who loved animals that much couldn't be a bad person.

That was pretty much all that happened during the weekend, but Evan still couldn't stop smiling like an idiot every time he thought about it. Once the class was over, Evan walked to Junior instead of his other friends. He had something he really needed to ask from him, and he hoped Junior would say yes.

"Our game is tomorrow." Evan stated.

"How nice. I'm not coming." Junior retorted, making Evan's smile falter.

"Please come! Do it for me, please?"

"I don't do well in places like that." Junior shrugged, seemingly indifferent about Evan's pleading words. After that Evan had tried about ten more times to get Junior say yes, but so far it had been in vain. Junior wasn't going to budge no matter what Evan said.

Dario Ortiz

"I heard you haven't left your room since Saturday." Brian didn't bother to knock, he just barged in.

"Shouldn't you be at school?" Dario groaned and threw the blanket off his face. He peered at Brian in a way he hoped told how much he would have preferred him to be at school.

"Shouldn't you?" Brian sat down on the edge of Dario's bed. He was carrying white take-away boxes and only the sight of food made Dario's stomach clench.

"Why are you here?" Dario muttered and tardily sat up on the bed. He hadn't opened the curtains and the room was a mess, but it didn't seem to bother Brian.

"I came to see how you're doing. I'm worried about you, you know." Brian admitted. He did look stressed, so Dario had no difficulties believing him.

"I'm okay. Or I will be, once I get some sleep." Dario reassured, but even he could hear there was no certainty behind his words.