CHAPTER 20: Birthday boys

Evan Cooper

In just two months Junior had made a lot of progress. He had been seeing Dr. Eneide, a.k.a Andrea, twice a week. The therapy sessions, although being helpful and necessary, often left him feeling agitated afterwards. He still had nightmares and he zoned out every now and then. It was clear Junior wasn't fine like he claimed to be, but he was getting there.

He could go as far as to the grocery store and to the mall, but he didn't talk to anyone expect Evan, his family, their home school teacher and Andrea. Evan couldn't blame him for that, not after what happened at school.

Home school was where Junior could prosper. Evan had never even realized how smart Junior was, as he never used to participate in the classes. Now that it was just the three of them, Junior always seemed to have an answer and he was a quick learner.

Home schooling wasn't doing any harm for Evan either: the teacher was patient with his learning difficulties and Junior was more than willing to help. Another thing was that Evan absolutely loved going to school with just Junior. Although he sometimes missed hanging with friends and playing field hockey, he didn't miss his old school or classmates.

Keeping his hands off Junior was something Evan struggled with, but he didn't want to pressure Junior to do anything he wasn't ready for. Junior wasn't fond of intimacy of any kind, he simply seemed to put up with all the kisses and hugs Evan showered him with.

That was difficult for Evan, who couldn't stop thinking about the softness of Junior's lips or the warmth of his body. Every time Evan kissed Junior, he was dying to slip his hands under Junior's shirt. He wanted to take things further so bad it was torture.

It was the morning of Evan's 18th birthday. He had opened his eyes, but in no hurry to get up. He rather laid in his spot, staring at the most beautiful guy, who was sleeping in his embrace.

There was certain delicateness in the way Junior looked: his pale skin, slim yet tall build, the plump lips, which curved up from the corners making it look like he was always smiling, the sharp jawline and the silver eyes, which were simply mesmerising. Yet Junior was far from fragile and he had made that clear to everyone who tried to mess with him.

"What time is it?" Junior mumbled, opening his eyes to slits. Even after all this time Evan's heart fluttered when the gaze of those silver eyes landed on him. He planted a kiss on Junior's forehead before checking the time from his phone. It was still early and Evan told him that.

"It's my birthday today." A wide grin spread on Evan's lips, when he saw the surprised expression on Junior's face.

"Really?" Junior chuckled.

"Yeah. Why is that so funny?" Evan furrowed his brows.

"Well.. mine is tomorrow."

"What? Really?" Evan exclaimed, eyes widening with delight. "That's awesome."

A while later they were standing in the kitchen, surrounded by Naomi, Brayden, Eliah and Eliah's girlfriend Lila. Everyone had a wide grin on their lips, except Junior, who seemed slightly hesitant about the new face in the room. It was his first time meeting Lila, but turned out they got along more than well, having the same dark sense of humor and all.

Once Evan had finished the last forkful of pancakes, he felt like his stomach was about to burst. The second helping had been a mistake, but at least it was a delicious mistake. Junior helped Naomi to clear up the table and insisted on washing the dishes. He helped around a lot and Evan was certain he was Naomi's favorite son these days.

"You're such a sweetheart." Naomi said and ruffled Junior's hair. "I'd just love to adopt you."

"Mom, you can't! That would be so weird, because Junior is my b.." Evan could feel his cheeks heating up and he quickly continued: "Because Junior's 18th birthday is tomorrow."