CHAPTER 15: A present for you

Evan Cooper

When Junior had pulled away from Evan and started running across the yard, it took Evan about 15 seconds to pick up what was wrong. The doghouse was empty with no PB in sight. Their plan had been to get her, then get everything they would need from Evan's home and take the first bus out of town.

Evan ran after Junior and nearly bumped into his back as he halted on the living room doorway. Just as Evan had dreaded, PB was in there with Paul. He was trying to come up with a plan to free PB, but Junior acted before he could come up with an idea. He got PB free just fine, but same couldn't be said about him.

When Paul shoved Junior to the floor, it was hatred that got Evan moving. He thought about the scars and the bruises and all the times Paul had laid a hand on Junior, deciding: No more.

Despite being a scrawny man, Paul's punch was like being hit by a crowbar. Evan stumbled, falling on his ass, and blinked his eyes slowly, bringing his hand to his throbbing cheek. In his stupor, he barely even noticed how Junior lunged towards Paul.

When Paul shoved Junior again, Evan could see it in slow motion. Junior tipped over, staring at Evan, his eyes wide and surprised, and then there was the table, right under his head. He collided with a sickening thud.

Junior slumped to the floor like a ragdoll, the back of his head leaning against the table leg. Paul froze on his spot, staring down at him. Evan glanced at Paul and they looked at each other for one stagnant moment. Then they both rushed to Junior.

When Paul reached for Junior's neck, Evan didn't wait to see whether he was going to strangle Junior or check his pulse. Evan shoved Paul off so hard he stumbled to sit on the floor. Then they started wrestling. Evan was a jock and he was in a good shape, but even with the red rage burning in his veins he couldn't beat Paul.

Paul was soon on top of Evan, punching his face ruthlessly. He had spit on his chin and his face was reddened all over. Evan had just enough time to think: This is it. This is the end, when he heard another thud and Paul collapsed on top of him.

Evan lifted his gaze to meet a familiar pair of silver eyes. Yet, the person who stood in the room had long braided hair, sickly pale skin and she was gaunt like a skeleton, her clothes hanging loose on her body. She was holding a paperweight the size of her fist and she stretched her free hand out for Evan.

"Get Paul Jr. out of here and call the police, okay?" The woman said with a raspy voice, as she helped Evan on his feet. Paul was lying on the floor, knocked out.

Evan gaped at the woman one more time, before stumbling towards Junior and hauling him in his arms. There was blood on his hair and he was unconscious, but he was breathing. Evan gave the woman a curt nod and rushed off the house.

When he was standing in the yard, he lay Junior down on the ground. PB licked Junior's face, wailing as she couldn't wake him up. Evan, whose hands were shaking worse than ever, called the police and an ambulance. He didn't even know what he was feeling anymore.

Dario Ortiz

"I hate that song." Dario complained. It was getting late and he was starving, so he wasn't in his best mood.

"Yeah, but it's my car and I happen to like this song." Celia smirked at him. She started singing along, just to piss Dario off even more.

"Baby I'm sorry, I'm not sorry
Baby I'm sorry, I'm not sorry
Bein' so bad got me feelin' so good."

(*Sorry not sorry by Demi Lovato)

"No, seriously, that's just terrible." Dario complained with a grimace and leaned in to change the radio channel.