CHAPTER 4: A one-off thing

Evan Cooper

Evan and his friends were tossing basketball in the school's sport field, when he noticed the students gathering to look at something. He dropped the ball and rushed to see what was happening.

When he saw Junior on the ground throwing punches at someone, he wasn't the least bit surprised. Evan had known from the beginning that Junior was trouble, but it still disappointed him to actually see it.

Junior's face was bloody and the other guy wasn't looking any better. At first Evan only felt annoyed, thinking Junior could blame no one but himself. But then Junior cringed and grabbed his side, looking paler than ever. He was clearly struggling not to show how badly he was hurt.

Why are you so afraid of showing your vulnerability? Just drop the act already, anyone can see you're not that tough.

Then Junior and the other guy involved in the matter were guided away by the principal. He didn't come back the rest of the day, or the next day or the day after that.

Evan had a weak spot for the bullied and the outcasts, but after a few days he was getting frustrated with himself. For some reason he couldn't stop worrying about Junior. He wanted to, because Junior clearly didn't want his help or his friendship, but he just couldn't bring himself to do so.

***

(CW: domestic violence)

On Thursday evening Evan saw Junior again. This time he hadn't been stalking their house from the window, but taking out the trash. Evan noticed Junior's slender frame as soon as he walked into the yard. He had the dog with him in a leash. They were trying to sneak in, but they didn't succeed.

"Where the hell have you been?" A voice rumbled and the door was slammed open, the hallway light shedding yellow light to the porch. Junior went still, staring up at the figure blocking his way in.

"I just found out that you've been suspended from school and that this isn't even the first time." The man snarled before lunging forward and grabbing Junior by his hair.

What happened next happened fast: one moment he was pulling Junior's hair, then he smacked his face against the wooden railing of the old stairs. Junior slumped to the ground to sit on his knees and the man took something from his pocket.

"You have been working? Bringing food to the table? You little shit." He took a bill and threw the empty wallet back to Junior.

Then he slammed the door shut and the yard looked pitch-dark once the light was gone. The dog was growling at the door, but otherwise it was dead silent. Junior was sitting on his knees and his chin drooped to his chest, like he was praying.

Evan dropped the trash bags and didn't think twice before rushing to Junior. The dog barked at him a couple of times, but Junior just sat there completely still. So still Evan thought he was knocked unconscious.

"Hey.." Evan started haltingly.

Junior turned to look at him, his face ripped off from all its usual animosity. He just stared at Evan blankly. There was no blood on his face, just the few days old bruises and a ruddy spot in the middle of his forehead.

"You didn't see anything." Junior said with a monotonic voice. He didn't seem angry or scared or even shocked.

"But I did." Evan protested, placing his hand on Junior's shoulder.

"You didn't, and even if you did, it's nothing. It's my fault, I made him angry." There was no emotion in Junior's voice, and it sounded eery in the dark yard.