Chapter 4: Where do you go?

Chapter 4

I hummed as I felt the wind ripple through my dark fur and the warmth of the sun on my face as I bounded through the forest. Twisting this way and that and darting through the trees and brush. I felt the familiar rush of excitement that never failed to wash through me when I shifted to my wolf form.

Today was the pack hunt, a voluntary tradition we did at least once a week. I’d set out with the pack earlier, watching them as they hunted but I’d long since ventured out on my own, preferring instead to just run wherever the forest chose to lead me.

 I tilted my head up and sniffed the air which was rich with the welcoming scent of pine trees and dirt. Here, I was in my element; as free as a bird, no worries no responsibilities and no problems, it was just me and nature, the hard earth beneath my feet, the wonderful scents filling my nostrils and the beautiful sounds assaulting my ears; sometimes I wished I could stay like this forever, once I’d even tried but missing my mate had cut that trip short.

I tore through the trees and watched as a lone doe scrambled out of my path but I had no drive to chase it, I only wanted to run. Run until there was nowhere left to go and nothing left to think about.

I ran until the sun was low in the sky and then until it was too late to see it. When I heard the horn sound signaling the end of the day’s hunt I turned around and made my way back to camp where Carson would give a customarily brief speech, and then we would all go about our usual dealings. When I reached the courtyard however the speech had already ended and as happened after every hunt I was cornered by Rivers who greeted me with a huge welcoming smile and I had to bite back a sigh, instead forcing a smile for him and saying a quick hello.

I sidestepped him trying to make a speedy getaway but as expected he found himself at my side.

“Soooo…any plans tonight?” he asked with a smile.

“Not really, I’m pretty tired so I’m just gonna head off to bed.” I told him, even going as far as to fake a yawn so he’d get the hint. But of course he didn’t and if he did he chose to ignore it.

“But it’s 7:00 o’clock.” He whined with a pout then put his hand on my arm and squeezed gently.

I looked over at him, looking cute with his big round eyes and dimpled cheeks and like every time before I decided to just invite over to my place. The thing with Rivers is that he and I used to be in a ‘relationship’, if you could even all it that.

Way before homosexuality was even permitted in the pack we were intimate with each other. Long story short; we used to have sex, lots of it. That had stopped soon after I had felt the pull of my mate on my eighteenth birthday of course but I would be lying if I said we didn’t  sneak a little every now and then.

It’s like Grady said; you couldn’t expect a guy to go without it forever. Back then though Rivers dressed conservatively so the pack never really suspected what he was, now that it was permitted though, everybody knew...he took the opportunity to dress the way he had always wanted and to act the way he has always thought he should act. If you saw him now you’d know instantly that he was gay and his flamboyance in speech and action didn’t help either.

“Fine, you want to come over?” I asked him and watched as his face lit up and his smile turned into a grin that seemed to cover his whole face.

“Great! You haven’t invited me over in so long!” then quietly so no one would hear; “I’ve missed you.” He said and I offered him a small smile for his troubles.

He chattered away, telling be about his day and everything else that was going on in his life that I’d missed and when we got to my front door he was still chattering. I put my hand on his shoulder and he stopped mid sentence and looked up at me.