Chapter 28: All that matters is the heart...

Chapter 28

A/N: Check out Lucas's story ; 'The criminal and The vigilante' over on my profile. also check out Carson's  and Laken's story: 'What the alpha say..Goes which is also over on my profile.

~Rivers’ POV~

It was stupid and selfish of me to hold out the hope that Thomas would somehow come back to me after all this time. After all any old fool could see how in love he was with Grady, not only that but Grady was his soul mate, you didn’t just leave your soul mate for a past lover simply because he still harbored feeling for you.

I sighed and turned on my bed so that I could stare up at my ceiling. I was happy for them, really I was and with that, my mind brought back images of Thomas and Grady over the past few weeks. Their union was indeed a strange one but you could tell that they matched despite their differences-of which their were many- It was time I moved on.

 It wouldn’t have worked out anyway. I had finally turned eighteen a few weeks ago and I had yet to find my mate but I had no doubt he was out there somewhere, waiting for me to claim him as my own.

I shifted again so that this time I was resting on my side, looking out my window at the starry night. I could feel him out there somewhere; I could feel the distant pull of something much greater than myself, the pull of another half of me that was missing, that I yearned for.

Ever since my eighteenth year, I could feel his soul calling to mine and I craved my mate’s presence. He was, for the moment far away but when the time was right I’d finally have him to myself.

I suppose this is what Thomas felt for Grady and the fact that they were together, possibly only heightened the feeling. I’d watched from a distance as they fought, as they moved as friends and finally as they moved as a pair. Then I’d watched up close as they pushed each other away and pulled each other closer and finally lived through each other.

On the surface they were as different from each other as the night was from the day but if you were lucky enough to experience their bond up close then you would really understand that it wasn’t the differences or similarities that really brought two souls together. No, it started with the heart and it ended with the heart.

So as I lay in bed, alone and lonely on such a cold and empty night and I found myself smiling because Thomas and Grady had taught me something that I’d been too narrow-minded to understand before and that is; that when it came to finding your one true mate there was no use in being impatient because when the time was right and the moment perfect, your better half would come to you and your life would change forever and for the better.

I turned away from the night sky and closed my eyes, falling into a deep sleep with a small smile playing on my lips.

…………………………………

~Carson’s POV~

It always pleased me to see a member of my pack happy and just by looking at him I could see that he was. Thomas was happy and in love, just as I was, and to think that only a few months ago he had been convinced Grady could never accept him as his mate. The fates certainly knew what they were doing.

They were both back to their usual cafeteria seat with their soccer crew, who was clearly glad to have them back. Grady sat in the centre of their table, feet and all, gesturing wildly as he spoke to the group, probably telling them a funny story because everyone around him was laughing as he went on.

 I always marveled at his ability to draw in a crowd, getting his audience to hang on to his every word. A charmer is what he was and not for the first time I found myself thinking that if not for his impulsive nature he could have made a pretty good Alpha; well he could have been if he also wasn’t so irresponsible, a blatant party animal and the most important: a human, but that wasn’t the point here. The point was, Grady was truly one of a kind and I was glad my Beta had him in his life.