Chapter 4

Danielle's POV

"So you're coming to my show tonight right?" Joseph asked walking into the kitchen. He passed me at the center island table, placing kiss on my cheek then going straight to the refrigerator.

"I thought this was Republic's showcase?" I smirked. Joseph was always confident in his talent; as he should be, he's an amazing artist. But sometimes he could get into it, so it's up to me to keep his head from soaring into the clouds.

He smiled setting two waters in front of me and hugging me from behind. "That's what I meant. Are you coming or not?"

"Yeah, I'll be there. Watching you rock it out on the stage, but I refuse to scream your name like a crazed fan." I joked. "That's just not me."

He laughed. "Well, I'll see you then. I'll send a car to pick you up later." I nodded in response and there was a moment before he spoke again.

I knew exactly what he was about to say as he looked into my eyes, so I stopped him before he could even say a thing. "No, Joseph. I don't perform anymore, that part of my life is over."

"Please, it'd be so amazing if we performed together." He pleaded. "You always talk about how lost in the moment I get during a show, and you used to be the same way. I know you miss it, Dani."

"Yes I miss it, but I can't, I'm sorry."

He sighed deeply. "No, I get it. Its cool. I'll see you tonight." He placed a kiss on my forehead then walked out.

I felt bad, Joseph has always wanted me to do a live performance with him, but I can't. Music is a part of my life that I put down, and I won't pick back up... Just hurts too much.

~

I sat at the piano in the recording booth with my pencil in hand. Scribbling words, writing notes on sheet music, everything flowed perfectly.

"Babe?" I heard Jaden's voice from behind me, scaring me out of my wits.

"Oh my god Jaden, don't scare me like that."

"Sorry." He apologized, then sat beside me in front of the piano. I continued writing. "What are you doing?"

"Finishing this song."

"Can I help?"

"No, that's okay." He reached to take the sheet music in his hands but I grabbed his arm mid-air. "Jaden, I don't need any help."

"Sorry." He said, slowly retracting his hand.

Moments passed and I felt his hand gently grab my thigh. I moved it away without looking at Jaden, though I know he was more than likely making a disappointed face. More moments passed and I felt Jaden's presence get closer. He placed his hand on the small of my back, and began to softly kiss my neck. I tried to put more focus on writing, more focus on the notes I was playing, but to no avail.

"Jaden, stop." I said, pushing him back to his original distance. Only seconds passed until Jaden's hands were moving my hair from near my neck, and his lips attached to my skin. Again, I tried to disregard, but it was too much to ignore. "Jaden! Stop! I'm trying to focus, and you're not helping at all!" I yelled. Jaden's face fell and he stood up from the bench. I immediately regretted raising my voice at him. "Jaden wait-"

He waved his hand and dismissed my attempted apology, then walked right out of the room. I put my hands in my head, then gripped my curls in frustration. Part of me wanted to follow him, apologize, and kiss him harshly. "It's okay Dani." I told myself. "You can work it out with Jaden later. Finish the song."