twenty-one.

"What if he loves someone else Eun, what if he loves her and not me. Everything would change."

"That's a low possibility." At this rate, Eun is already more than ready to be slamming her very own head against the wall out of desperation. "It's just different with him, you know?" Areum loves Eun-Yi from all angles platonically, but when it comes to him. His just different, his more than being in love, it's a little spicier than that ordinary feeling itself.

"And in what ways is it different?" Her friend raised an eyebrow at her, eyes making contact for the first time in what felt forever after all of Areum's avoiding. And all she replied was a shrug, it wasn't a feeling to be described by words itself, the words are even too vague for her to use them as an explanation. Jaemin just strolled into her life on the first day of university and clicked everything in pieces like the last puzzle piece, he made everything feel complete. "It has always been different with him. With you, I knew that we would become really close friends at first glance."

Eun nods her head in approval, waiting for her dearest friend to figure out the correct words to describe her feelings and thoughts all for him. "From the moment I met him, I knew that I would fall in love with him in no time. When he first came up and greeted me, I knew I was fucked, badly. There's never been any hope for me in life, Eun. I just have to live like this forever, there's no hope, really." Eun-Yi lets out a soft groan, rolling her eyes. "No, you do have hope, it's just that you're not opening your eyes wide enough to see what you have in front of you."

"Uh, the only thing right in front of me is you...?" Areum questions, genuinely concerned for Eun at this stage considering how she's tugging at the ends of her hair. "I swear to fucking god, I'm friends with literal idiots, two idiots. I knew you were smart, Areum, but this? You're densed as fuck I'm about to blow up." Eun drags her sentences in a croaking manner, probably too tired from this conversation with a dense friend. "Don't you ever wonder what would happen if you told him about it one day?"

"Eh, not really, that really isn't my main focus. It's just a small infatuation." Areum tilts her head to the side a little, face showing no signs of emotions, the topic about love wasn't really her centre of attraction in any other conversation. There's way too many things that could happen. Jaemin tells Areum he just wants to stay as friends and nothing more or he rejects her because he's not interested in her that way and their friendship would end right there and there out of awkwardness. It's a higher possibility of him being interested in someone else already, judging by the way she would look at her.

The least that could ever happen is either his dating someone else and haven't told anyone about it nor he's not looking forward or is ready to be in a relationship at the moment. Things would get all awkward and stuff because Areum confessed to her very own best-friend that she's literally in love with him and the feelings aren't two way. They'd end up not speaking to each other, ignoring each other's existence, seeing each other by accident by chance. They graduate university and move on with life after that, following their own path and steps.

He would be just a past friend Areum was so in love with and that he's no longer part of her daily routine in her life. "He rejects my confession, we become strangers again and have to avoid each other at all costs. He lets me and my guts down easy and I would feel like nothing but a complete loser for having confessed to a male in the first place. There's a lot of other possibilities, the list goes on."

"You're forgetting a specific possibility that could possibly happen to you." Eun raises an eyebrow, pad of her thumb rubbing Areum's palm, clearly implying something. "I'm omitting a lot of them, mostly the unrealistic ones." Areum tells her. Including the one where she could possibly be dating him in a parallel universe where she's in his arms so safely and comfortably, and there is no one else but two of them where they have to rely on each other to survive, to fend off anything they encountered together. "How about the one where he actually feels the same way, like romantically?"

"Uh yeah no, that's too unrealistic. I said to think realistically, Eun." It's nothing but the truth. Why else would Jaemin be traipsing around with beautiful, rich, worldly girls on a nightly basis? He does it for the money, sure, but he likes it. He loves the experience, loves living that sort of life. And Areum was never able to provide that for him, not even in terms of love life, she thinks. "You know that's never going to happen, we're just friends and we can be nothing more than that."

"Friends who make time for each other to meet even it's fucking almost dusk? Friends who flirt with each other, have their head lying on each other's laps? Friends who cuddle each other to sleep, I'm not saying that isn't allowed but there's clearly more meaning to it and you just can't seem to see the meaning behind his actions, Areum. I'm not saying I completely understand what kind of person he is but I'm just saying there's always more than a normal reason beyond his actions for you." There's more than everything Eun mentioned, his done way more than a normal best-friend could do. "No but, what if he really loves her and not me? Don't you get it? That was why I omitting such many possibilities."

"What do you mean her, who else has he ever interacted with for another her to come out?"