~ 15 ~

"Mom tells me you've been getting into trouble lately," Jacob was saying from over the phone.  

Seolhee rolled over onto her stomach, holding the phone so that they could see each other's faces. "Really?" she asked, amusement in her voice. "What exactly has she been telling you?" 

"She didn't specify what you did, but she said that ever since I left you've been acting up," he said, his eyes sparkling with silent laughter. "She said when I get home I better have a serious talk with you." 

"So that I can become a model child, like you?" 

Jacob raised an eyebrow at her. "I'm not a model child." 

She laughed. "Yeah, you kind of are. I can't remember you ever causing a lot of trouble."

"Are you causing a lot of trouble now?" he asked, suddenly looking a bit worried. 

She shrugged her shoulders. "I'm dating Sunwoo," she said, watching his expression and laughing again at his reaction. His eyes widened and his mouth dropped open.

"You're kidding, right? You guys never got along. And he's going to be..." 

"My stepbrother?" she suggested when Jacob trailed off. 

"Yeah. That's... kinda gross," he said, wrinkling his nose at her. "I absolutely do not approve." 

"We're dating in hopes that mom, or Mr.Kim, will call off this stupid wedding," she said, rolling her eyes in annoyance. "You don't approve of me dating Sunwoo, but do you approve of mom marrying his father? A man she also doesn't get along with? A man she doesn't love? And especially when it's only been a little over a year since dad died. You don't approve of my dating, but you approve of all that?" she asked, her voice rising in anger. 

He looked at her through the phone, his eyes shadowed with worry. "I want mom to be happy-" 

"Me too!" she snapped. "But you're not even here to see what's going on. She and Mr.Kim can barely stand each other. Do you seriously think they'll be happy together? And what about my happiness?" she said angrily. "Doesn't that matter at all?" 

"Seolhee-" 

"Nevermind," she huffed. "I have to get ready for school. Bye." 

She hung up and picked her bag up from the floor, leaving her room. She'd actually already been ready for school. She'd gotten dressed and eaten breakfast and everything before she'd called Jacob. She had wanted to spend as much time talking to her brother as possible since she missed him a lot. But now his words just made her angry. 

Seolhee left her house, relieved to find Eric and Haknyeon waiting outside for her. 

"Have you been waiting long?" 

"We just got here," Haknyeon assured her, giving her a bright smile. His smile faded when he studied her face, which still held a scowl despite her being happy to see her friends. "What's wrong? Are you mad at me?" he asked, his eyes widening in alarm. 

She sighed, reaching forward and giving him a hug. "Who could ever be mad at you?" she said sweetly, patting his head. She glanced at Eric, a mischievous smile coming to her lips. "Eric, on the other hand..." 

"Hey!" he complained loudly, narrowing his eyes at her as she pulled away from Haknyeon. 

"Hey what?" she deadpanned. 

"Are you implying that you could get mad at me? At ME?" he said, staring at her with wide eyes, a pout on his lips. 

Seolhee laughed, shaking her head at him playfully. She reached up to ruffle his hair. "Well, maybe." 

"This isn't fair!" Eric whined as they started walking to school together. "I'm sensing some favoritism here." 

Haknyeon smiled at Eric triumphantly. "I bet she does like me better. You do, don't you Seolhee?" he asked, his eyes teasing. 

She shrugged. "I like you both the same," she said honestly. "Exactly the same. You're the best friends a girl could ever have."