~ 16 ~

"We need to talk," Sunwoo announced, walking over to Seolhee and grabbing her hand, pulling her away from her friends without any explanation. His eyes were icy, and she sighed at his cold face.  

"Those are words no one likes to hear," she mumbled as he pushed her into an empty classroom. 

"Did you see this?" he asked, holding out his phone to show her as he shut the door behind them. 

She looked at the article on his phone, her eyes widening. She suddenly felt sick to her stomach. "Why is everyone so interested in my life?" she muttered to herself, scrolling through the article. 

Pictures of her hugging Haknyeon had been uploaded. She had no idea who was waiting in front of her house that early in the morning to stalk her and take pictures. But the pictures were up, and now articles and countless rumors were circulating about the two of them. She hesitantly clicked the comments, knowing she'd regret reading them but being too curious to resist. 

She's disgusting. I can't believe she's cheating on Sunwoo. 

Just because she's being cheated on by her fiancé doesn't mean she should treat Sunwoo like this. 

Who's the boy? He's really cute. 

What about the other boy in the picture? Is he with her too?

I hear the boy she's hugging dorms at the university, so he must have gone to her house to pick her up. They must really be in a relationship. 

I hear that she's pregnant, and he's the father. 

She swallowed, pushing the phone back towards Sunwoo. She was already regretting looking at the comments. Her hands were shaking and she could feel her heart beating faster. 

Her heart suddenly dropped. Poor Haknyeon. She'd involved him in this needlessly. 

Seolhee closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. The air around her and Sunwoo was suffocating. 

This is all my fault. 

"I have to go see Haknyeon," she said, reaching for the doorknob. 

"Are you kidding me?" Sunwoo shouted, exploding at her. His eyes were blazing with anger. "How could you be so careless? My father already called me about this. Our parents aren't going to believe us if you keep acting like this!" 

"If I keep acting like what?" she shouted back, throwing her hands in the air. "I was walking to school with my friends. I hugged my friend. If the public wants to blow that out of proportion then there's nothing I can do about it. What do you mean I'm being careless? Do you expect me to distance myself from my best friends just because we're 'dating'?" 

"I expect you to be careful and play the part so that we can get this over with quickly," he growled, his voice low. "I've been careful. Why can't you?" 

Seolhee balled her hands into fists. "Let me out." 

"No." 

"Listen, if I'm bothering you so much, let's just tell everyone we broke up, okay?" she snapped. 

"And then we become siblings and I have to deal with you for the rest of my life?" he said, raising an eyebrow at her. "No thanks. I'm drawing this out for as long as possible. I'm going to do everything I can to make it work, so can't you just cooperate?" he asked, his voice getting louder again. 

"Haven't I been cooperating?" she shouted back. "We've gone on dates. We've kissed. We keep up the front at school. What more do you want from me?" 

"And yet you're always hanging out at Eric's house. There are pictures of you hugging Haknyeon. What do you expect people to think?" 

Seolhee stumbled backward, feeling like the breath was knocked out of her. 

"You're... you're just like everyone else," she said softly. "They're my friends," she said again. "And I'm not going to act differently around them just because of some stupid rumors. So, let me leave." 

He didn't move from in front of the door, and she gritted her teeth in frustration. "I said move." 

"No." 

Finally snapping, she reached her hands out and pushed him away, hard. He was so surprised by her sudden movement that he tripped over his own feet and crashed to the floor. 

She didn't apologize. She just glared at him and then left.