~ 27 ~

"How's Jacob?" Sunwoo asked tentatively as he walked Seolhee to school.  

"He's recovering," she said, breathing out a sigh of relief. Her mother had called earlier and relayed the information from the doctors to her. He was out of surgery, and the critical stage had passed. He was conscious now, though he was sleeping a lot since he needed his rest. "But he was sleeping when my mom called, so I didn't get to talk to him yet," she said, frustrated. 

Sunwoo gave her a sympathetic look. "Soon," he said. "I'm sure he wants to talk to you, so I'm sure you'll be hearing from him soon." 

"I was really scared," she whispered, looking down at the sidewalk as they walked. "I really thought I'd lose him. Like how I lost..." 

She was unable to say the words aloud. The death of her father was a wound that had yet to fully heal. 

Sunwoo took her hand, squeezing it as though he was trying to offer her support. "Tell me about your father," he said gently. "What was he like?" 

A smile immediately came to Seolhee's face as she remembered. "He was the best. The best father ever. We were all always so happy. Even though he worked so hard, he made sure he had weekends off and we'd go places together. Even something as simple as getting ice cream together felt so special because all four of us would go. We'd do everything as a family. I really liked that. After he passed... it felt like we all kind of split apart," she admitted, chewing on her bottom lip. 

"Because Jacob had to leave for Canada?" 

"Jacob went to Canada, and my mom suddenly became obsessed with working. I feel like they kind of abandoned me," she joked. 

Sunwoo stopped, and since he was holding her hand she was forced to stop as well. "They didn't abandon you," he said softly, looking at her intently. "Trust me, they didn't abandon you." 

She swallowed, not used to seeing a pained expression on Sunwoo's face. "What's wrong?" she whispered, taking a step towards him. 

"You won't abandon me, right?" he asked, his eyes wide and scared as he looked at her. 

Her heart melted, and she shook her head, pulling him into her arms. He quickly returned the embrace, holding her tight. "No, never," she promised him. 

"My mom left," he whispered, his voice breaking. "My dad cheated on her and she was thrown out. She never came back for me." 

Seolhee blinked tears out of her eyes, feeling heartbroken to hear Sunwoo's wavering voice. "I'm sure she wanted to," she said gently, rubbing his back. "Maybe she couldn't." 

He sniffed, burying his head into the crook of her neck. "She didn't," he mumbled. "Before she left, she told me I was useless. And that I'd end up to be just like my father. I heard rumors that... that she may have not even been my mother after all. But it was so many years ago that I don't even remember the rumors that clearly. I just remember her saying that, and leaving." 

She rubbed his back, unable to say or do anything that could make him feel better. She felt his tears fall on her shoulder and she held him tighter. 

"I don't think I'm someone worth sticking around for," he said softly. 

At that, Seolhee leaned out of the embrace so that she could look at him. "What?" 

"My father tells me all the time. That I ruined everything. That it's my fault. I'm not sure what I did, but... he hates me. He..." Sunwoo trailed off, not saying anything, but his hand subconsciously reached up to touch his face. 

Suddenly, she remembered how he'd come to school with a bruise so many weeks ago. She remembered how angry and sensitive he'd been when she asked about it. She remembered how he'd reacted when the rumors of her and Haknyeon had started, and how he'd mentioned that his father had called him about it. 

She remembered how just yesterday, he'd told her that he didn't want to stay at home since his dad was around so often. 

"Gosh, Sunwoo, does he..." she trailed off, Sunwoo pulling her into his arms again. She rubbed his back comfortingly. 

"Listen," she said after a moment. "I don't know about your parents, but I think you're great. I think you're someone who I want to stick around with for a long time. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not abandoning you, not ever. Got that?" she said gently, pulling away a bit so that she could smile at him. 

He stared at her for a long moment, looking like he wanted to say something but was hesitating. 

"I'm really lucky to have you," he finally said, smiling back at her. 

***

A/N 

I don't remember if I mentioned it before, but Sunwoo's character is low key inspired by Young Do from The Heirs/Inheritors. 

Also, THANK YOU FOR 8K READS WHAT?!?!