CH 3: BETTING ON YOU

Stupidly, I spent all week expecting a call or a text from an unknown number

Stupidly, I spent all week expecting a call or a text from an unknown number. Nothing much, just to let me know that I was getting my bracelet back. I knew I told him I wasn't keeping any hopes, but damn. He was pretty close to being a billionaire. I'd like to think he could afford a bracelet he broke in the first place.

Like clockwork, I would come home from work and the first thing I'd do was ask the neighbour if there was any package delivered for me. He'd shake his head, and I would go drown my disappointment in soup and crackers. I knew I could eat better, but lately, motivation had all but tanked, and I had been slowly dwindling in despair. It may have something to do with a monthly visit from Mother Nature, draining my will to live slowly and steadily for the past two days. Day three and things hadn't gotten much better. Heating pad, loose pyjamas and greasy hair, I sat down at the small table to finish my meal, the crappy show on YouTube keeping me occupied.

Sure, my house wasn't much, but if I had to fulfil my dreams one day, a small home with smaller rent was the way to go. Especially considering how I didn't have rent money to keep this one-bedroom space, I would definitely not have the capability to keep a larger house. I'd done what I could to make it feel homely, though. The bed was a bunk of sorts, so I made the space below it my studying area, and a frame on the wall that held everything dear to me. To the opposite end was the kitchen stove and the sink, close enough that it should have been criminal, to be honest. There was space for a mini-fridge, and I did my laundry at the store downstairs. Nobody had space to fit a washing machine in this place.

Not much, but just enough.

I had just finished washing my utensils, hoping to sleep early when the doorbell rang. It must be Kyle. The guy who lived upstairs would always fucking forget his keys at home and had left a spare with me. He'd come in occasionally to ask me for the keys or to return the extra set. Today, I guessed the latter.

Shock coloured me blue as Aiden Steele stood outside my small shoebox of an apartment, looking every bit expensive and bougie as could be, a look of disdain fallen on his face. His beard was doing wonders for his face, and the navy of his suit really brought out his eyes. And here I was, smelling of dish soap and tomatoes, not wearing a bra under the baggy tee shirt and shorts that definitely had holes in them. If one could draw a contrast between us, they'd have pages to write. A whole volume.

I checked the time on my phone. Three minutes till it would be Tuesday, and he would have been too late.

"It took a while to be shipped from Romania." He extended a black box to me. With almost shaking fingers, I took the box, undoing the blue ribbon and opening it. My bracelet!

The beads were shining and glittery, as they had been when I first received them. I couldn't help the whimper that came from my lips as I picked it from the casing delicately, putting it over my wrist. A perfect fit and I was close to tears seeing my bracelet collection complete. One from her, and one from my nephews and one from my mother. The holy trinity of things that kept me afloat.