CH 12: TAKING A BREAK

I spent all of Sunday recovering from a late night at Aiden's apartment again

I spent all of Sunday recovering from a late night at Aiden's apartment again. I'd fallen asleep on his carpet on Friday night a little after sunrise. Aiden woke up a little after me, informing Lydia that we'd be coming in to work around noon, so we both could be well-rested. Somehow, I had missed my ride with Aiden and had to take the bus, which wasn't so bad considering peak hours were over. We spent all day holed up in Aiden's office again, working till my spine was dead and my butt resembled pancakes. I only got enough of a break to make dinner and take a shower before I was back in Aiden's apartment, still going through the files.

If the merger was this complicated, I would simply not do it. It seemed an incredible waste to have the CEO spend like a billion hours on a single project. I knew he did other things during the day that he was currently ignoring and a lot of his work was pushed aside while we worked on this. On top of everything, the merger wasn't appearing all that profitable to me either. Aiden was taking a company off the hands of one of his father's old friends as a gesture of goodwill as far as I had figured out, but I still didn't think it was all worth it anyway.

The terrible sleep schedule had taken a toll on my body, and I all but passed out in my bed once Aiden gave me the green light to go home. Nothing had felt better than recovering from a whole day on the marble floor than a fluffy bed. Except for...

I had to try out the bathtub. With enthusiasm, I turned the faucets on, adding a cup of bubbling liquid according to the instructions. The water turned purple first before disappearing under bubbles. Music from my favourite new artist started playing as I stripped out of my clothes and tied my hair up, ready to sink my toes in the steaming and inviting space.

A moment short of dipping my toes in, the doorbell rang, making me scream in frustration. What the fuck now?

Tying my robe around my waist, I stomped to the hallway, ready to rip a new one to whoever was bothering me now. I just fucking needed some time to myself. Was that so hard to come by?

With the force I used to open the door, it might as well have been off the hinges. And my anger did not stop even for a second to see Aiden standing there, the Mallory case file in his hands.

"I figured out the thing about-" He started, words disappearing into the air as he appraised my situation. "Oh." He cleared his throat.

"What is it?" I leaned against the door, so mentally drained having my life revolve constantly around this case.

Aiden cleared his throat one more time, looking deep in thought, "Uh- you can, you can come over once you're done."

"No," my reply shot out before I could stop it, making Aiden cock his head to one side.

"Honestly, I am sick of this file." I said, my sleep-deprived brain not knowing what a filter is, "I need a break today or I will literally collapse in the office tomorrow. If it doesn't happen naturally, I will bang my head against the walls in your office till it does."