CH 15: NATURAL LIKE BREATHING

This is part II of a double update! Please make sure to read Ch 14: SUGAR BABY before this.

I made my way upstairs with a pounding head and a heavy heart. All I wanted was a good warm shower and some sleep. Of course, luck was never on my side. It hadn't been for a while when it came to unfortunate situations. When the elevator doors opened, I was face to face with my tormenter, looking impeccably sharp in his charcoal suit. How did the colour bring out his dark eyes even more? Even his usual combed-back brown hair was messy slightly, and I was in awe of his... just everything.

"You don't look too happy for someone who had a date." He noted.

"Einstein." I rolled my eyes, my head throbbing in pain. That coffee was a bad fucking idea.

"If it's any comfort, mine didn't go any better. I was heading out to get a bottle of wine." I didn't know Aiden had a date tonight. I wanted to know if she was a model, had I seen her somewhere? Was she on the cover pages of some magazine? Did she own a yacht? Was she super-rich too? Of course, she was super-rich. What would possess Aiden to date someone not in the same society as him?

"Sorry to hear that." I pursed my lips, exiting the elevator doors just as he entered it, our shoulders brushing in the intimate space. I did not need that.

Aiden's intense brown eyes met mine, and as cliché as it sounded, I forgot to breathe. There was something in his eyes that looked strangely like wanting, only I never understood what it was for. The small fairytale obsessed girl in me wanted him to want me, but Aiden and I were night and day, and we had no business being in each other's worlds.

"Did you sign the papers?" He asked, pressing the button to the ground floor while we were still standing on the threshold.

"No, I decided I don't want more charity." I stepped out of the contraption.

"No one said it was charity." Aiden stepped out with me, letting the doors close behind us. With him standing between me and the door to my house- his house, I was reeling in his familiar presence and scent. "Has anyone said anything to you about it?"

"They don't have to say it." I rolled my eyes, brushing him to the side with the back of my hand so I could access the lock of my house.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

I sighed. For a genius, he surely was stupid as fuck. Unlocking my/his house, I dropped my bag in the hallway before taking off my heels and giving my toes some much-needed relief. I didn't have to look back to see Aiden had followed inside, his dress shoes making enough noise on the marble floor. I adjusted the temperature of the room to help me cool down a little, unbuttoning the collar of my top.

"Remember you told me that I wasn't supposed to tell anyone about the plan?"

Aiden nodded, and I tried to ignore the way he was unbuttoning his suit and taking the cufflinks off his arm. He struggled with the left one for a second before extending his hand out to me, making me roll my eyes and laugh a little.