CH 16: DORA THE DREAMER

I woke up with overwhelming guilt and underwhelming anger

I woke up with overwhelming guilt and underwhelming anger. When not under the influence of alcohol, it was a lot easier to remember that I had slept with my boss yet fucking again, and at this rate I just needed to hide my ass in Timbuctoo or I would never be able to see myself in the mirror. Sure, Aiden had brought me to bed while I was too fucking drunk or tired or sleepy or a dangerous combination of three, but someone had to set some boundaries between us, and it sure as hell didn't feel like he was going to be the one doing it.

Especially when the bare skin of my elbows made contact with his front, realization dawning on me that he was had taken his shirt off at some point, and his skin was in contact with my body. Even if I was fully clothed, this was strange, and the creep of a woman in me wanted to turn around and cuddle into the scent of him.

Get a grip, Thea.

Like yesterday, I could continue to sleep and let Aiden figure out the rest of it. This time, even if the doorbell rang, I would not get up and answer. I'd let Aiden do it. The room was still dark, and I realized my body clock had just fucked me over by waking me in the middle of the night and I would spend the rest of tomorrow feeling absolutely miserable. Closing my eyes, I tried to get comfortable again, hoping sleep would pull me under soon enough. And it did, which should have been nice. Instead, my sleep pulled me into a dream that made me regret every single life decision that led me to this point.

The dream picked up right from where my eyes had closed, only I was seeing this from a different point of view. I had sights on the two people in the sheets, cuddled up together from a corner in the room. Their proximity scared me, especially when I knew that the woman was me. Too close. Her boss. Everything is messed up.

Get away! I wanted to tell her, but my mortified eyes watched her turn over in her sleep, now facing a heavily sleeping Aiden. Her arm went over the soft skin of his chest, settling over his shoulder, nose burying in his neck. Dream Thea was feeling warm and intimately safe. I could see it in the way her body was relaxed and she was comfortable enough to hook a leg over his. He shuffled in his sleep too, and with some movement ended up putting one hand over her waist, pulling her closer than what anyone would deem appropriate.

Wake the fuck up, Thea.

Wake up now. This is a nightmare.

The real nightmare began then.

Dream Thea woke from her sleep, eyes opening to see Aiden's chest pressed to her cheek. Raising herself up on the bed, she made no attempt to get away from him, no panic rose in her chest. A light ghost of a smile came on, and she carefully moved her palm to rest on his cheek. Even from the distance, I was in, I could see the adoration she held for him, and that terrified me in a way I could not explain.

Wake up.

His face looked softer in the night, always. The streaks of honey in his hair looked silvery and pale in the moonlight, the stubble that he'd been sporting was prickly under her palm, but she liked the rough feeling. It felt nice when he'd kiss her-