CH 11: FAIRY GODMOTHER

I woke up in a cold sweat, body frozen in fear before I could realize it had all been just a dream

I woke up in a cold sweat, body frozen in fear before I could realize it had all been just a dream. Yesterday's events begged to be addressed, but I was too hungover to process anything. Over anything else, I needed coffee. And then if I had the time, I needed to scrub my knees hard enough that I wouldn't have any lingering effects of his hands on me.

I picked out a basic white shirt and black pant combination, not in the mood for a lot of colours today. Lydia would disapprove, but she'd have to live. I already had Kylie on my back for my horrendous fashion choices, I didn't want to give Lydia that free pass too. I was running low on groceries so I noted down the things I wanted on the app, setting the order to be delivered after seven in the evening. The transaction went through and I checked my account balance, horrified to see the numbers dwindling faster than I had imagined. Being rich was expensive.

Or maybe I just needed to put my feet back on the ground. I cancelled two orders I had placed for clothes, hoping the funds get credited to my account by tomorrow morning. Frivolous spending could wait till I had my salary in the account. I was finishing my coffee when the doorbell rang, so I took my cup with me to the door.

Aiden wore a perfect white shirt and a black tie today, ditching his regular blazer for a waistcoat. His blazers often hid the full extent of his muscular arms, but the shirt was much kinder for the female population. All of humanity, really. "Good morning?" I asked almost like a question, not sure if there was any reason for him to be here this morning.

"Are you ready for work?"

I looked at my toast lying on the table before shaking my head. I was fine. I was ready. "Yeah, almost. Why?"

"I'll be in the parking lot. Be there in 5." He walked away, leaving me utterly confused. Why would he drive me to work now, considering I was okay with using public transport? But then again, who was I to turn down a free ride? I tucked my shirt into the pants, making sure no creases were visible. After yesterday's fiasco, I wasn't taking any risks and grabbed my jacket too. My lunch was packed and ready, and I made a note to eat it today, no matter what. I had to catch at least ten minutes in the whole day for myself.

I arrived at least ten minutes later, but Aiden was still in the parking area, seated in his car with his phone pressed to his ear. I sat down quietly, buckling in my seatbelt and listening in to the conversation, even one-sided. It's one of the things I've learned with Aiden. Things that you don't think much of, often end up being key pieces of a puzzle you're trying to piece together. Always have your ears open.

"No, that's seven million too less. Tell him if he doesn't cooperate the acquisition will become hostile and he'd be sweeping the floors of his own company." Jesus. Aiden had never been this crude around me. I could take a page out of Jason's book and just wait for this whole thing to go away, or I could simply ask him what the fuck was twisting his balls. I chose the option that would certainly lead me to death.