CH 8: DOWN AND DIRTY

Kelley was a short woman with a strong Southern accent and a crazed look in her eyes, who almost jumped out of her seat when I knocked at her cabin. She didn't have the privilege of privacy as Aiden, only glass separating her from the outside world. I wondered how she picked her nose if she ever wanted to. Aiden could be fucking someone in his office and no one would know, it was so quiet and secluded.

I walked in when she motioned me to come and handed over the files saying Mr Steele had sent them. She seemed to be surprised till she opened a file and read its contents, a flash of recognition on her face.

"Take a seat darling, I'll just print out the sheets I wanted to send back and you can take it to him?" I nodded. Sure, I could do that before lunch. I had just about two and a half hours remaining. I'd drop by Jason's thing first and then to Aiden and I'd still have time to spare. Kelley, unfortunately, walked at a snail's pace. She apparently needed at least ten people to do her work and I found myself wanting to scratch her hair off on multiple occasions. Afraid this was another trick of Aiden's, I jumped to my feet to assist her in any way possible. She made me get a few sheets printed from the stationary office on the other end of the hall, and printed some in her own office, making the process go faster. We then arranged the sheets, lucky enough to have page numbers guiding us into a black folder, and it took me a whole of one hour in her office, but I managed to crack the code anyway.

Thanking Kelley with a smile, not letting her know I was onto her, I took the heavy ass folder upstairs, not wanting to piss Aiden off. If I had Jason's number, I could have sent an apology, but a mail would suffice, I suppose. If he ever saw his mails, that is. I tried to keep my frustrations to a minimum on the mail, knowing that the company mails were monitored, but some of it seeped through nonetheless.

Upstairs, another set of challenges waited for me. I had reached a whole hour before lunchtime, but Aiden had been 'busy' according to Lydia so I couldn't drop my folder in just yet. I sat down on the chairs lined outside, narrowing my eyes at her, "This is another one of his tests, isn't it?"

Lydia laughed, making me swear under my breath, "Sadistic cunt."

"You know I could be downstairs, actually learning something from someone actually willing to teach me?" I complained, not happy about missing my opportunity to see Jason and learn whatever he had to say. He'd said I would like it, and I was so freaking sure I would have.

I stared at my phone, seeing a mail notification light the screen up.

Nice to know you found Kelley's office. When you see Aiden, let him know I'll be going out for lunch with you and he's welcome to join.

Did Jason just invite me for lunch? It wasn't an invitation as much as it was a direct declaration, but it was something! I didn't reply at the risk of running farther than my legs could carry me, unsure if Aiden had any more torture tactics up his sleeve. Twenty minutes in, I half considered just barging in and dropping the file. But I doubted that is what Aiden's little game is about.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Lydia staring at me, quickly looking away when she noticed me. She had to be the key.

"Hey, Lydia," I started, and she pretended to look up from her computer screen, "Yes, honey?"

"Do you think I can bore you into letting me go in?"

Lydia looked at me funny, but I was determined not to lose my challenge, "Because I have a story to share about the time my friend got fired from Walmart, and it's obviously not interesting enough to keep your attention for long. But it'll distract you enough that you won't be very productive. In fact, you won't be productive at all..."