13. A Tall Order

"Good evening, Mr. Chen."

Standing behind the counter of a local convenience store was Kenta Chen, a sixty-something old man that ran the store. His silver hair had black strands, matching his gleaming eyes.

"Good evening Ken," greeted the old man. "You catch any criminals tonight?"

"Nah, it's a quiet night," Ken chuckled.

The store was empty, which spared Ken of the usual awkwardness that came from people asking for autographs. It was eleven o'clock, and in an hour, the store would close. Perfect shopping time for the man that wasn't up to being swarmed by fans.

He walked back to grab a couple snacks, then grabbed a couple packages. Before he went up to the counter, he fished around for his wallet.

Crap, did I leave it in the car?

"The payment is due, Chen!"

Ken froze at the sudden demand, and peeked around the snack aisle to see a man wearing a black hoodie, blocking his face from view. He was waving around his hand, a couple of nails floating at Mr. Chen's face.

"I already told the last guy," Chen stammered. "I'm not interested in your protection!"

"Well, protection is mandatory," the man growled. "We got a war brewing, and we need as much money as possible. In exchange, we give protection."

"I'm not taking sides in your little territorial dispute!"

Something dark and solid wrapped around the man's arm, freaking him out and sending the nails flying right by Mr. Chen's face, barely slicing his cheek. The thug was yanked to the side, face to face with a man completely wrapped in darkness.

"You know," Ken spoke, his voice darker than usual. "I don't appreciate you harassing my friend. If I wasn't a hero, I'd probably crush you right here, right now."

The black mist — no, shadows — gave Ken an eerie aura, freezing every bone in the thug's body. His blood turned to ice at the sound of his voice, and the way his eyes glowed a pure white in contrast to the darkness that threatened his life somehow made the hero much more menacing.

Ken glanced at Mr. Chen, then back at the young man. "What's your name, kid?"

"F-Fukien."

"Fukien." Ken sighed. "You hurt this nice man here. I've known this guy did a long time. So for now, I'm gonna leave your fate to him."

"W-What?"

Ken turned to Mr. Chen. "Should I beat his ass before sending him to the cops, or just send him now."

Mr. Chen placed his hand on his sliced cheek, feeling the warm blood. "No need to torture him, kiddo. Just send him on his way."

To the thug's relief (and Ken's distaste) Ken sent him over to the police. After returning from the precinct and grabbing his items, he froze again.

"Shit, I left my money in the car again!"

Mr. Chen broke out in laughter. "Don't worry about it, Ken. Tonight's on me." He winked at the young man. "Just be sure to show your lady a good time, eh?"

Ken sighed as he stuffed the snacks and the condoms in the plastic bag. "Let's not talk about this now, you old dog."

"Ha! This old dog taught you a lot."

Ken laughed. "Yeah, I guess that's true."

"Guess I should have taught you to control your anger better," Chen said, frowning. "Try not to do that in public, alright? People might go crazy if they think a hero will kill them."