24. Halloween Special

A Halloween party held for the top fifty heroes in Japan should be something to look forward to. Right?

Unfortunately for Ken, he's not that much of a party person, especially a costume party. He practically felt obligated to come, and was reassured when Rumi, Ryuko and Yuu told him they'd be coming as well. The problem was their secret relationship. Not wanting to risk anything getting out, they agreed to stay separate and mingle among other heroes and their plus ones.

Ken hates making small talk.

They'd gotten him a costume to resemble that of the American comic book superhero Batman. It was cramped. He was sweating in places he'd never sweat before. He was cranky from having to stay away from his girlfriends.

He was now just shuffling around, trying to catch a glance of them. Even if he was grumpy, he hoped they at least had a fun time. Finally, he caught sight of Rumi chatting up Hawks, the current number six hero, ranked just below her. Dressed in an orange and black jumpsuit, he had a pretty blonde woman hooked to his arm, dressed as the Hinata to his Naruto. Rumi looked excited, so Ken could at least relax knowing she was having a good time.

After another minute of searching, he found Ryuko engaged in light banter with the massive Fat Gum, the forty-seventh ranked hero in Japan, who'd apparently taken to shedding his fat so he could dress up as Superman. He had to admit, the guy was in great shape whenever he sheds his fat. He remembered one operation they worked together where he'd killed a Nomu by absorbing its hits and punching it right in its brain, overriding its Shock Absorption. He seemed like a nice enough guy.

As another joined them, butting into the conversation to talk up Fat Gum, Ken took that opportunity to look for Yuu. It took a little while, but he found her with a glass of wine in her hand, arguing with Kamui Woods and Edgeshot, numbers eight and fourteen respectively. Woods wore a costume to match his wooden appearance, making him out to be a sort of tree spirit, while Edgeshot just dressed as a generic ninja. It didn't seem to be a serious argument, more like a childish one you'd see amongst siblings or really close friends. She was the most relaxed he'd seen her in weeks, and it brought a smile to his face.

"That you Ken?" At the sound of the voice, he turned to come face-to-face with a blonde woman dressed up in a black leather suit, with white fur around the collar. She had a black domino mask over her face, making it a little hard to tell who she was, but he recognized the scar on her forehead and the blonde bang covering it.

"Pixie-Bob, hey," he greeted, plastering a fake smile. Sizing her up, he nodded. "Wow, that's a pretty good costume. Who're you supposed to be?"

"Aw, don't tell me you've never seen a Marvel movie, Ken," she chuckled. "I'm Black Cat!" She ran her hands up her sides, turning so he'd get a view of the back. His eyes lingered on her ass for a moment, something that did not go unnoticed.

"Still, you look great," he repeated.

"That I do." She bit her upper lip, her eyes grazing over his appearance. "Gotta say, you do make a great Batman."

He smirked. "You think so? I kinda think this mask is a bit much."

Tugging it off, he ran his fingers through his hair, fixing it from its ruffled shape caused by the uncomfortable cowl. "How about now?"

"Well I think you'll have an issue protecting your secret identity..." A blush rose in her cheeks, the heroine clearing her throat and putting a finger to her lips. "But don't worry. Your secret's safe with me."

He winked at her. "Ditto."

"Hmm," she hummed, not once breaking eye contact. "You know, I'm kinda thinking I picked the wrong costume."