Chapter 2- A hug and a cup

Y/N p.o.v

"Aaaaaand here's the last one.
Good morning, Dave!"
I checked the last lawyer on the list as he nodded at me. I looked at time. Ten o'clock in the morning.

Mr. Grossberg visited earlier to see how I'm doing. I told him that Armando told me everything, and boss soon left for his work.

I came to the office at around seven in the morning and opened the office.
I prepared the different coffee blends Diego asked me to prepare.
7, 8, 9, 11, 15, 23, 28, 30, 44, 51, 85, 89, 93, 98, 102, 103, 107.

Mia entered for a second to take some of her files and quickly left as I wished her luck.

Diego rushed in after she left, packing some papers and files in a grey suitcase.
I handed him a bag with the coffees he asked for.
"Thanks for the favor, princess."
I remember him saying as he rushed out.
"Go get 'em, tiger!"
I managed to say.

Damn, it. I can't stop thinking about him. Always there, in the back of my mind.
________________________

The day went well. Thanks to Armando's instructions, I managed to do my job pretty well.
I even had some free time, so I just mindlessly scribbled on a paper while day dreaming.
I noticed later that I scribbled his silhouette with hearts around.
I quickly hid it.
Y/N, you have to stop thinking about him aaaargh! Just go back and do your job!
I scolded myself.

It started to get dark, and people began to leave the office. I am always the last one, so I have to close it behind me. I put the keys in my pocket.

It's the last hour.
I closed all the windows and locked all the rooms.
I still have to stay at my desk until seven, in case there's a last-minute e-mail or announcement.

...
I guess I'll go make myself a coffee.
I looked at the list again.
I kinda liked the taste of 102.
I never drank coffee, I hated it bitterness. Armando's blends are very bitter, but he made me feel so happy that I managed to drink it easily.

The hours I spent with him yesterday in the office... talking, joking...

I followed the instructions on the list and made it.
"A single drop of milk is all it takes to destroy the pure black magic in the cup."
I remember him telling me.

I set by my desk and sighed, refreshing the e-mail page every time I took a sip.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps. As I stood up from my chair, someone entered the office.
"D-Diego? Did something happen?
What are you doing h-?"

Before I could react, he wrapped his strong hands around me in a tight hug. I was completely red, but luckily he couldn't see my face. I quickly returned a hug, my heart beating like crazy.
Armando was very warm and he had a calming coffee scent, but his right hand felt... strange and out of place.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't hug a woman without permission."
He said as he let go.
I thought that nothing could wipe his permanent smirk. Something really bad happened.

"N-No, that's fine... it looks like you needed it."
I said, a little dazed.

"What happened? Shouldn't you be home- AAAA YOUR HAND!"
I noticed it had dry blood all over it.

"It's fine-"

"Nononono hellllll no. You are coming with me, I'll patch it up."
I said as I dragged him to the kitchen sink, gently washing his bloody hand.

"H-How did this happen?"
I asked, a little worried, looking at the white glass shards that are stuck in his hand.

"I... smashed my coffee cup."
Armando sighed.

"You are a strong one, aren't you?"
I tried to joke. It didn't help.
I cleared my throat.
"I have to get these out, although it my hurt."
I warned. Diego nodded.

He barely had any reaction, but I had a feeling he was burying it inside.
I finished everything and put the first aid kit in place.
Diego looked at his now wrapped hand.
"Thanks."

"You're welcome!"
I tried to smile and lift up the mood. Armando smiled back, but there were tears in his eyes.

"A-Are you okay...?"

"No, not really... but remember: the only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over. And now it's over."
He had a slight smile on his face.

I hugged him again.
"You seem like you could use another hug. And a cup of a good coffee."
_________________________

I managed to push my feelings aside for him. Right now, Armando needs some to support him. I can't let my own thoughts get in the way.

"So why did you come here, if I may ask?"
Both of us sipped on number 88.

"I wanted to see how you coped on your first day but I guess I broke down.
I'm sorry you had to see me like that."
Armando looked at the floor.

"Don't worry about that. I'll always be here to listen and support you.
You don't have to tell me what happened.
I just want you to be happy."
I said genuinely.

"You are one of a kind, Y/N."
I felt butterflies all the sudden as he said my name. I put all of my power into calming down.

"I want to tell you what happened."

"Let it out, Diego. I'm all ears."

It took him a few seconds to recollect his words.

"The trial today... it was crazy.
Both the defence and prosecution were rookies, but frankly I don't think anyone in the world could handle this case.
The truth is that the defendant was manipulated by a girl named Daliah Hawthorn. Twice.
Just before we got to the truth, he...

...

He knowingly drank a poison she gave him years ago.
The defendant died in Mia's arms. Everyone in the court was forced to watch it happen.
When help arrived, it was too late.
Daliah Hawthorn just walked out without any consequence, smiling.

Devils like her should be burning in hell.

This trial was too much...
for everyone.
I even had to take a long walk to even try to recover."

Armando told me with a sad smile.
I put a hand on his patched one on the table.
"It's... terrible...
You should take a good rest this weekend. Both of you."

Diego nodded.
"Of course, you are right.
Thank you. And sorry for the troub-"

"Tsk, tsk, tsk.
You just broke MY number one rule."
I nodded in disagreement.

"And what's that?"
Diego raised a brow.

"You are never a burden to me, so stop apologising!"
I giggled.
Armando chuckled, too.

"Gimme your cup, I'll wash it.
Now go home and rest."
I took his empty cup before he could do it himself.

"I'd like to escort you home, actually.
Such a fair maiden shouldn't walk home alone."

"Is that so?"
I put everything in place and grabbed my bag, taking the key to the office.

"I insist."
Armando said, gesturing his arm.

"Very well then, if you insist. I live a few minutes from here."
I crossed my arm in his and we went on our way.

We just spoke about random things, mostly funny stories.

After a seven minute walk, we were there. I had to resist the urge to just up and kiss him.
We waved goodbye as we split up.