Chapter Four

You stared at the taller woman's hand. What had you to lose? You placed your hand in the winged woman's clawed hand, taking in the features of the golden bird mask she wore. This was all for your neice. You noticed the smallest tug of a smile behind the bird mask. "I don't trust you." you said.

Her other hand raised to your cheek. You flinched when she made contact with your skin. "You will." She hummed. What had you gotten yourself into? You took in a deep breath as heat rose to your cheeks. "Time to go home, my little bird." She said.

Suddenly, you were surrounded by a flock of crows. You squealed and launched forward. Hugging the other woman in fear. Your body went rigid. Your body felt like jelly as strong arms tried to support you. You would be embarrassed about this later. You felt gentle scraping on your head. It was soothing. You looked up to see the tense woman above you. Immediately, you pulled yourself away from her. "I-sorry." you apologised and curled yourself up into a ball. You wanted to go home.

"It's quite alright, pet." She said. You looked around where you had been... Teleported. You were in a living room. It had a colour scheme of cream. A baby's cry echoed in your ears. You looked at the woman with a slight glare. "Rose is this way." she said and led you into a dark room. It easily put you on edge. From the moment the lights turned on your eyes widened slightly. It was a baby room. You had a little peek around as Mother Miranda walked over to a crib in the corner.

There was a photo of a woman holding a small baby that seemed to be asleep. Your heart felt warm at the sight. A voice coughed gently from behind you. You let out a yelp and nearly dropped the photo. Only then did you realise that Mother Miranda had removed her mask.

Your soul abandoned your body as you studied her face. Memorising every detail. Your heart was beating wildly in your chest. She was beautiful. Her eyes were an icy blue with a tinge of green. She seemed to doing the same thing as she brought her hand to your face. There was something between you. Something that you wanted to deny. You felt like you knew her. Everything about her was so familiar and comforting. But what you could see in front of you told you a very different tail. You don't know this woman... Do you?

She turned away and looked at the baby in her arms. You followed her eyes and releaf attacked your heart. "Rose!" you said with tears. You were so happy to see your neice again. The baby laughed and reached out for you. You went to take her but Mother Miranda pulled away making look at her with questioning eyes. She looked between you and the baby. The longer she looked at you, the softer her eyes became. Like ice melting away. She sighed and handed you the baby.

A cry left your mouth as you hugged the baby. You wanted to stay in this moment forever. Just you and Rose. You held her close. "I'm going to get... Dinner started." Mother Miranda mumbled and walked out of the room. She seemed a little angry.

You shrugged it off and rocked Rose back and forth. "I promise that I won't fail you again..." you said and held her close. You would protect Rose. For Mia. You decided to go and find Mother Miranda but there was no way in hell that you were leaving Rose. Maybe you could try and escape? Then what? Get eaten by a butch of wild lycans? No thank you. You needed a better plan.

Leaving the room with Rose in your arms, you began to look for the winged woman. Something painfully familiar caught your nose. It was the same smell of food as the night Mia was shoot. You started to shake at the memory. You couldn't protect Rose... You couldn't protect Mia... Suddenly a figure popped up in front of you making squeal like a mouse. "Will you stop doing that!" you hissed out in fear. Mother Miranda chuckled lightly. Her wing fluffed out and her chuckling stopped as she seemed to be having an inner battle with herself.

You held Rose a little tighter into your chest. Mother Miranda's icy eyes met your (e/c). "You really are special, my little bird." She said with out smiling. Her face was neutral. You felt heat reluctantly rise to your cheeks. "Follow me, pet." She hummed and walked off to what you presumed was  the kitchen.

Once entering, you took notice of the pot of food. "ciorba de legume..." you muttered under your breath. You felt the other woman's cold eyes locked onto your body. You shivered under her gaze. You had never felt smaller. Your head immediately tilted when you looked back at Mother Miranda.

Her wings... They were gone? "Where is the..." why couldn't speak? The word completely left your mind. "Emmm flap flap? Feathers?" you said while trying to make wing movement. That was it. "WINGS! that was the word..." god. She probably thought that you were utterly pathetic and very stupid.

She raised an eyebrow. Her eyes were become dark as she lowered her head a little. It made you uncomfortable. She was definitely judging you. You moved with Rose an inch further away. For safety.

"they are retractable, pet." She said with a sigh. What was with the 'pet nickname? You didn't really like it but you didn't have the courage to stand up to her. She stared at you like you were the most boring thing on the planet. How welcome you felt... She looked to the foor before pointing to the table and chairs. "Go on... Sit." you  rolled your eyes and went over and sat down. You kept Rose in your arms. No one like her was coming near your little neice again. You won't let anyone hurt her.

Mother Miranda placed a dish full of food in front of you. What if it was poisoned? You glanced at Rose. She started to reach out for Mother Miranda making you pull her away. The blonde woman smirked a little and rolled her eyes at you. Something ghosted over her face. A certain type of sadness that you couldn't place. She sat at the other chair that was across from you as she laced her long fingers together. "Tell me something about yourself, little Bird..." She asked as you played around with your food. She too had a plate in front of her. It made you feel just a tad better. But looking at it... You knew you couldn't eat it. You didn't reply to her. Only stared. "How about this... You tell me something about yourself then I'll tell you something about me." She hummed and relaxed.

Her stern cold gaze was still locked on you. She really was like a bird. "Well... I used to work in a Rescue Reserve for Birds. I worked with a number of different species but when my brother and his wife fell upon... Hard times. They moved and brought me with them." you said. She listened with great interest to every word.

Mother Miranda smiled slightly. "Hard times..." She toyed. You were uncomfortable. "Eat." She said and glanced at the food. You denied and she sighed. "Fine. But you have to eat something. You haven't eaten since breakfast the night I took Rose."

A growl escaped your lips. "How did you know that!" you snapped.

Her lips became a thin line. "I know many things about you, Miss Winters." She said. "I know that you were thrown out of your parents house because they found out about your sexuality." those words hit you deep in the heart. How did she know that? You had only told Mia and Ethan that...

You narrowed your eyes. "What about you? You said that if I told you something about me you would tell me something about you." you smirked. Rose laughed in your arms. It was like she understood what was going on.

The woman opposite you raised an eyebrow as she smiled. "I was a scientist... I still am. In ways." She said and eyed your food. "I also had a child once. Her name was Eva." her smile became frail and forced as she looked at Rose. The woman in the photo with the baby... Was that Miranda?

Your brows furrowed. "I'm sorry... That mustn't have been easy." you said and very slowly reached for her hand. Mother Miranda glanced at you. Her face was showing unfamiliar emotions.

"I don't need your pity." She growled at you. However, she took your hand and squeezed it a little. She thought of what she could say next. "Eat. If you don't want to eat it you search the kitchen for something." She said and walked away. "Goodnight, my little bird."

++++

Am I doing Mother Miranda okay? I wanted to give you all a teaser of her before I continued 😂🥺

Thank you so much for reading! What would you like reader and Miranda to do next?