Chapter 2 - Master

The Dark Side is like nothing Anakin has ever felt in the past. He's willing to admit that he's touched it – drawn from it – on more than one occasion, but here, on Mortis, it's different. They are in the Well of the Dark Side, and he's never before felt such power. It's almost heady. He doesn't let it distract him, though, and not only because he can feel Obi-Wan coming. Perhaps he could have had doubts, would have had doubts in another lifetime, but not anymore. He's not alone. He'll never be alone again, as long as Vader remains with him.

Is it strange, he wonders, to be so fiercely drawn to a future version of himself? To care for him so deeply and want to protect him, especially when that same consideration doesn't apply to himself? Maybe this is an opportunity for both of them; they can learn and grow together. Anakin refuses to believe that the Dark Side is the only answer. It isn't meant to be their future forever, he knows that much. Vader's opinion probably isn't the most trustworthy. They – they need to do what Anakin – and Vader – did here on Mortis when they controlled the Son and Daughter. They have to somehow balance both sides of the Force.

The realization strikes him harder than any blast of Force lightning ever could. Is this, then, what it means to bring balance to the Force? Or is the fact that they're together already begun to bring true balance, given that he is Light and Vader is Dark?

His thoughts are brought to a halt when a speeder descends, landing only feet away from them. Obi-Wan. Vader stiffens and Anakin can feel his emotions rolling just beneath the surface, practically burying his own uncertainty – and dare he say fear? – underneath. Force, is this really what it feels like to be bonded to him, or is this simply a result of them being the same person. He's inclined to think the latter, because if Obi-Wan has any idea how Anakin has felt all these years, he would have scolded him for being so emotional.

"Anakin?" Obi-Wan climbs off the speeder, but remains in place, frowning, as he looks between Anakin and Vader. Anakin shifts, subconsciously putting himself slightly in front of Vader, almost as if he's acting as a shield between them. He knows what it must look like a moment later. It must look as if he's protecting Vader. "Are you alright? What happened?"

Anakin twitches, reaching out to Vader through the Force. He can feel the elder's emotions so powerfully that his own are practically nonexistent, but they both share the same uncertainty, fearing that Obi-Wan might reject them here and now. Vader says nothing, only crossing his arms as he looks at his – Anakin's? – former master. "There... has been a change of plans," Anakin replies finally, conviction settling over him. He straightens, glancing briefly at Vader.

Obi-Wan's dismay is obvious. "And who is he?" he queries, gesturing to Vader. "He feels like a Sith. How did he get here?" He shakes his head, presumably probing with the Force as his gaze sweep around them, resting briefly on the Son's decapitated body before he refocuses on Anakin. His worry is tangible.

"You," Vader states coldly, "Are in no position to be asking any questions, but since you ask, my name is Darth Vader." As he speaks, Anakin relinquishes his hold on the Dark Side, letting it flow away, though he can feel the taint within him. He'll never be the same again, but perhaps that's for the better.

Obi-Wan involuntarily takes a step back. "What do you want with Anakin?" he challenges.

Vader makes a derisive sound, and Anakin forces himself to pretend that he doesn't feel the Sith's twisted humor at the situation, an amusement which he himself feels, if he's being honest. "You will not understand what I have to do to end the Clone Wars, Obi-Wan," Anakin states with surety. "You will try to stop me."

"Whatever Vader told you, it's a lie," Obi-Wan cautions. "You cannot believe him. Come with me. You don't have to do this."

Anakin is shaking his head long before Obi-Wan finishes speaking. "No," he replies firmly, "I cannot. I'm sorry. I have seen it is the Jedi who will stand in the way of peace." He might not remember entirely what he saw, but there are still some vague bits and pieces in his mind; it's enough for him to speak with authority.